Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Michelle Obama give Govt cover to legalise Abortion ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Could Michelle Obama give Govt cover to legalise Abortion ?

Michelle Obama set to visit Republic - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, May 03, 2013

Michelle Obama - who is strongly "pro-choice / pro-abortion" will visit the south during the G8 summit in mid June that brings Obama to Fermanagh.

The last time a prominent female Democrat visited Ireland was in December when Hilary Clinton issued a coded but very strongly worded statement of support for legalising abortion on the grounds of protecting "women's health" (this is the narrative the pro choice lobby have been spinning for months, twisting a tragic death caused by hospital screw ups to malign a country with one of the best records of maternal care in the world and far better than US or Britain where abortion is freely available).

Could it happen again?

If it wants to bury bad news quickly and close to the end of Dail term then the mid June timing of Michelle Obama's visit is perfect.

The pro abortion side that in govt may hope the coverage of adoring fans and the flashback coverage to the Obama visit of 2 years ago will give FG and FF TDs the re-assurance that the country is in the mood to go with the flow.

And if Michelle herself says a few vague words about "human rights" "health" issues this wil of course be joyfully conveyed by most of the meeja as a divinely inspired call by a much adored first lady.

The press and broadcast coverage that week will be of pints being pulled/US flags being waved and the Gathering being promoted.

Anyone trying to point to the substance of the debate - that basically there is no substance whatsoever to laws that blame unborn children for deaths inflicted by congenital medical stupidity - will be rejected as not only extremist, but inhospitable ("how could they object to that lovely woman speaking her mind?").

So my bet is the legislation will be passed in the same week as Michelle Obama's visit.

A good week to bury bad news, so to speak.

Trouble is this war is beginning, not ending.

The Govt have overestimated the power of the medias "we are all moderates now" narrative and underestimated the extent to which real opinion has gone underground.

Also the death of the pro life movement has been greatly exaggerated.

If anything it is just getting started and the next local and Euro elections are now barely 12 months away.

Michelle Obama may turn heads in the media.

But as budget 2014 bites in October and as busy pro lifers keep working over the summer, the political parties that vote for this legislation or that allow it to be passed without a vote, may find that bad as public opinion towards politics is (7/10 don't trust politics) this could get significantly worse in the autumn.

Let it go. Please.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Let it go. Please.
    Never, for 3 reasons:

1. This is a life and death issue.

2. The *pro choice* lobby have pulled every string, told every lie and spun every spin to twist and distort the fact and mislead the public. This cannot be allowed to go unchallenged.

3. Even if one favours the "pro choice" position, this level of manipulation must be challenged.

Perhaps you are happy that the institutions of state - including taxpayer funds (going to the National Womens council of Ireland) and the office of the President (in his partisan statements) and its diplomatic engagements (visits by Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama) are being misused to push abortion.

Perhaps you are even delighted at what you consider an adious pro life movement being finally bested.

But mark my words. This is a pyhrric victory. The population - even that population that supports this legislation - can see the dishonesty behind it.

The *pro choice* lobby has disgraced itself.

Michell Obama would do well to stay out of the debate if she comes here

And TDs would do well to postpone this debate until after the October budget.

The frenzied phase of media bias and misreporting needs to wear off so we can have a reasoned debate. Not like the insider group think festival we saw this week.

According to recent polls the "majority" for abortion legislation is vanishing with every week that passes.

Finally group think is wearing off.

Which may tempt govt to act sooner rather than later.

But its a case of "act in haste, regret at leisure".

A hasty passage - particularly one with no Dail vote - will do lasting and fatal damage to politics in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are mental
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Michelle Obama? I know she has Irish connections but .... this is a bit of a reach.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Dylan2010

Dont worry BB, with you on the case they wont dare

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ciara conway and jillian van jackboot look like they are about to cry in the senate hearing. They are being made to look like total gimps by the consultants present.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First the Romans. Then the British. Now Michelle Obama. Will Ireland ever be freeeeeeeee...
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is it just me or does it actually get madder every day?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast