Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Widespread, significant" data protection breaches by the Gardai

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default "Widespread, significant" data protection breaches by the Gardai

Breaches of data protection across State agencies - RTÉ News

The Data Protection Commissioner has discovered significant, widespread breaches of data protection law during an audit.
    The audit looked at how information from the Department of Social Protection is shared with other government agencies.

Launching his 2012 annual report, Billy Hawkes said similar breaches have been found in an ongoing audit of An Garda Síochána, specifically in relation to the PULSE system.
    Pretty awful, but unsurprising stuff here. There seems to be one of two steps required here:

One: Disciplinary steps taken against Gardai inappropriately looking up data and an investigation into if any of these lookups occurred in order to feed the media.

Two: Firing whoever implemented the system without training and defining appropriate use of the system.

There are also concerns raised about the use of social welfare information.
    The audit followed a major investigation within the department into one employee’s access patterns to personal data. A criminal investigation is also underway into that matter.

Mr Hawkes said a “worrying degree” of inappropriate access to personal data by State employees was detected as a result of his investigation.
    The entire report is here: http://static.rasset.ie/documents/ne...protection.pdf
    Last edited by Sync; 20th May 2013 at 05:03 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

We need private police companies to get rid of these idiots that have the audacity to call themselves a professional force.

Boggle

Hardly shocking. My ex looked me up when we dated.
    Thought they had tightened it up since but apparently not.

I heard somewhere that you could fool the comments box by tapping spacebar and it appears that nobody gets punished for filling out forms wrong (because you obviously know who made each and every entry for traceability purposes).

I would suggest that step one should be to start disciplining people who fill out forms incorrectly. It's a key duty of policing and if they cannot do it they are unsuitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    Hardly shocking. My ex looked me up when we dated.
    Thought they had tightened it up since but apparently not.
    That's pretty creepy. No wonder she's your ex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would'nt worry. It'll turn out to be just another 'system failure' so we can all relax.
    If however you own a sheep and its missing one of its 3 compulsory eartags you'll have a big problem..............
    Сохранить Украины

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by R3volution_R3ady View Post
    That's pretty creepy. No wonder she's your ex.
    She was actually alright, she didn't mean any harm in it and she thought it hilarious.
    I was slightly uncomfortable though.

It's like when you get to a checkpoint and, even though you know you are fine, you start mentally searching for what they could possibly get you for.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sure anyone who has a good friend in the Gardai can get access to the info on Pulse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So not only do we have a Minister of Justice using info to tar political rivals, we now see it's rather the done thing.

Data protection................ meh, whats that?

Releasing info about political rivals, sher why not?

Want points deducted from your license.......just contact a Guard that you know.

All the while we lap it up.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    Sure anyone who has a good friend in the Gardai can get access to the info on Pulse.

Is that how Willie got it d'ye think?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    So not only do we have a Minister of Justice using info to tar political rivals, we now see it's rather the done thing.

Data protection................ meh, whats that?

Releasing info about political rivals, sher why not?

Want points deducted from your license.......just contact a Guard that you know.

All the while we lap it up.
    well, they're quite ******************************ly about data protection when stuff gets said on a forum like this....or refers to NAMA or sensitive government figures....but in outside of that, and when it relates to little people, then its not an issue.

what the hell is wrong with pr!ckly????
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast