Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland needs to join Schengen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ireland needs to join Schengen

I'm sick to death of Ireland being out of Schengen!

Last night my brother-in-law was flying to Dublin from Moscow. As there are no direct flight anymore from Russia to Ireland, you have to transit somewhere.

He had booked a flight through Dusseldorf. When he tried to check in in Moscow, they said he couldn't. Dusseldorf doesn't have a transit area - he'd have to pass German emigration to check into his dublin flight, and he didn't have a Schengen visa, only an Irish one.

This is such a stupid situation! If Ireland was in Schengen, like 28 other countries (All EU, plus Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, minus Ireland and UK) it would be no problem, he could fly. If he was transiting to some other city in the EU, no problem.

Ireland needs to join Schengen!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ireland can't join Schengen until UK does as otherwise it will be a big mess, possibly even leading to the removal of the common travel area and in the extreme restoration of border checkpoints with the North
    Enda Kenny on FF government: “We’re in this mess, not because Fianna Fáil policies have failed, but because they have succeeded.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drbob1972
    Ireland can't join Schengen until UK does as otherwise it will be a big mess, possibly even leading to the removal of the common travel area and in the extreme restoration of border checkpoints with the North
    The common travel area is a joke. You need a passport anyway, and there;s no common visa system - so transiting through the UK is a pain.

And to hell with the UK. Its only one country - I'd prefer to be with the 28 countries of schengen.

If we hang around waiting for the UK to do stuff, we'll wait forever. They still haven't joined the Euro. Good thing we didn't wait then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan

And to hell with the UK. Its only one country - I'd prefer to be with the 28 countries of schengen.

If we hang around waiting for the UK to do stuff, we'll wait forever. They still haven't joined the Euro. Good thing we didn't wait then.
    Do you really want me to have to go through passport control and immigation checks everytime I go to see my grandmother 1 mile up the road in Crossmaglen?

Cop yourself on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse
    Do you really want me to have to go through passport control and immigation checks everytime I go to see my grandmother 1 mile up the road in Crossmaglen?

Cop yourself on!
    Is it such a hardship?

What about the cost to the economy of turning tourists away? There are millions of non-EU people living long term in the EU. None of them can visit Ireland because we have this daft system.

Wheres the logic there? Why does someone who may have lived in France most of their life have to get an Irish visa to visit here? And how many such people will bother, when they can go to any of the Schengen countries with out it.

Politics.ie Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

seabhcan, mind your language please.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The system makes sense on the continent because, with the exception of Cyprus and Malta, all EU countries there can be driven across from one to the other. Ireland's and island anyway. It's only possible to enter through certain points so a passport isn't the most illogical thing to have in one's possession. The only international border we have is the one with the UK in Northern Ireland, so it makes sense for that reason -among others- to have a common travel area with them.
    "Unless you are an absolute pacifist, then you acknowledge that there are times when taking up arms is appropriate."
    - cactusflower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    The system makes sense on the continent because, with the exception of Cyprus and Malta, all EU countries there can be driven across from one to the other. Ireland's and island anyway. It's only possible to enter through certain points so a passport isn't the most illogical thing to have in one's possession. The only international border we have is the one with the UK in Northern Ireland, so it makes sense for that reason -among others- to have a common travel area with them.
    The biggest issue here is not passport-free travel - its the common visa system.

With China, India and Russia becoming bigger trading partners Ireland will be left out if business people need a separate Irish visa. They just won't bother to come.

Imagine if one US state didn't accept a US visa? Who would go there?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Ireland needs to join Schengen

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan
    I'm sick to death of Ireland being out of Schengen!

Last night my brother-in-law was flying to Dublin from Moscow. As there are no direct flight anymore from Russia to Ireland, you have to transit somewhere.

He had booked a flight through Dusseldorf. When he tried to check in in Moscow, they said he couldn't. Dusseldorf doesn't have a transit area - he'd have to pass German emigration to check into his dublin flight, and he didn't have a Schengen visa, only an Irish one.
    He's a Russian citizen? Privet emu

Fly Belavia. Nice, inexpensive, no visa required for transit, and if you don't like flying twice you can take a train to Minsk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Ireland needs to join Schengen

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelR

He's a Russian citizen? Privet emu

Fly Belavia. Nice, inexpensive, no visa required for transit, and if you don't like flying twice you can take a train to Minsk.
    Privet Michael!

He had to fork out for a flight via Prague. They have a transit area.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast