Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I remain an unrepentant euro fanatic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I remain an unrepentant euro fanatic.

So says Financial Times Associate Editor Wolfgang Münchau today.

It doesn't make much sense but I'm a eurofanatic - FT.com

He explains that his fanaticism is grounded in his geopolitical views rather than in economics. He believes the EU deserves and ought to be what he calls a superpower. He doesn't describe what that would look like or how it would operate. But then he is disarmingly candid about his formative process where euro fanaticism is concerned:

"I simply do not need any economic reason to arrive at this position, or any rational reason at all for that matter. I am like a six year old in this respect. I want the EU because I want it."

The FT is behind a paywall, but I think they allow access to a few articles monthly for nothing. For a free insight into fanaticism it is worth that much.

The article is titled 'It doesn’t make much sense but I’m a eurofanatic.' Google is your friend.

Luckily Ireland's currency policy rests on steadier ground.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    So says Financial Times Associate Editor Wolfgang Münchau today.

It doesn't make much sense but I'm a eurofanatic - FT.com

He explains that his fanaticism is grounded in his geopolitical views rather than in economics. He believes the EU deserves and ought to be what he calls a superpower. He doesn't describe what that would look like or how it would operate. But then he is disarmingly candid about his formative process where euro fanaticism is concerned:

"I simply do not need any economic reason to arrive at this position, or any rational reason at all for that matter. I am like a six year old in this respect. I want the EU because I want it."

The FT is behind a paywall, but I think they allow access to a few articles monthly for nothing. For a free insight into fanaticism it is worth that much.

The article is titled 'It doesn’t make much sense but I’m a eurofanatic.' Google is your friend.

Luckily Ireland's currency policy rests on steadier ground.
    A rantings of a raving lunatic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

To beat the FT firewall, simply google search the title and click the link on google news. Works every time.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's a very very weird article. I guess I kind of understand what he's saying, that Europe is simply ingrained in his cultural outlook at this point, but it's just odd all the way through.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem was never the single currency, as a matter of fact the Euro is the only thing holding Europe together at the moment,

I blame incompetent governments and a criminal banking system across Europe for overborrowing and overspending on the back of a stable currency.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinster View Post
    The problem was never the single currency, as a matter of fact the Euro is the only thing holding Europe together at the moment,

I blame incompetent governments and a criminal banking system across Europe for overborrowing and overspending on the back of a stable currency.
    yes. if only we had honest competent people in charge, im sure that this collectivism thing would work great,

Give me strength,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I clicked the thread thinking a p.ie poster was admitting to being a Euro fanatic but instead I see a nice straw man set up and a new word for the hard eurosceptics lexicon "eurofanatic".

Let the hyperbole, assertions and assumption commence. I see someone already got a 1984 reference in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was of similar mind to this chap. I was fervently in favour of the euro for example. I once told Alan Dukes in a radio call in that I was genetically disposed towards the EU, and that was why I couldn't understand why we had not entered into discussion to join the Schengen area.

I think it was the realisation of the damage that the euro has caused to us, particularly the fact that it allowed the dumping of cheap money into our economy, and inflated our property bubble, that caused me to turn away from an emotional political attachment to the EU.

And before anyone says it, I am a Shinner. I have been a Shinner for a very long time. But I was always in favour of the european project in general, if not always in favour of all parts of it. I was in favour of the euro. I was in favour of Schengen. I can't say that I have any emotional attachment left.

D

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ya screw economics with massive unenployment
    and social misery for millions of europeans, this
    f.ucking one size fits all currency has been a disaster with no end in sight for any of the piigs
    federalists remind me of those behind the ussr
    and hopefully it will fall in time,

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast