Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you still support austerity if...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Would you still support austerity if...

... you couldn't leave Ireland, or get your money out of here?

I have a strong suspicion that many of those who support this extremely dubious policy are secretly betting on being able to escape the consequences if and when it all goes pear-shaped.

In fact, I believe many actively want it to go down the tubes, and getting themselves and/or their dosh out of Ireland and into a tax haven. Then they wait for everything to collapse, then come back in with their stash, and buy up lots of things at rock-bottom prices.

Clearly, if a person has this plan, the rational thing for the country to do is the precise opposite of what he wants.

So, pro-austerity folk: would you change your demands if you had to suffer the full consequences of an Nicosia-style collapse, and you couldn't get your cash out of danger.

That means that if a post-collapse Irish government took all your savings, you couldn't escape it.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem there a lot of us cant leave and dont want to leave, what can we do when we keep putting in right wing people that put the banks and the rich people first .

MrFunkyZombaloo

I don't know if I qualify for the question because b. I don't have any money in a bank account, anywhere and a. I don't have the funds to leave Ireland and establish myself abroad (not that I want to leave - yet).

But my answer is yes, I still believe the government should reduce spending to match income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyZombaloo View Post
    I don't know if I qualify for the question because b. I don't have any money in a bank account, anywhere and a. I don't have the funds to leave Ireland and establish myself abroad (not that I want to leave - yet).

But my answer is yes, I still believe the government should reduce spending to match income.

You are in the same boat as myself, but who do you think is suffering the most with this austerity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Our austerity came about because of the income shortfall and the fact that no-one would give us any money. I'm all for closing that gap.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't leave and I've no money so my Yes probably doesn't really count.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Our austerity came about because of the income shortfall and the fact that no-one would give us any money. I'm all for closing that gap.
    Yes great ok, 1, will every country in europe do what Ireland are doing. 2 who suffers the most with austerity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    Yes great ok, 1, will every country in europe do what Ireland are doing. 2 who suffers the most with austerity.
    1. Who cares what other countries do? We are addressing out own problem and what they do will have no effect on it.
    2. I am not suffering through this austerity because I have adjusted to it just like pretty much everyone I know and I am not wasting my time bitching about it. The positive that will come out of this period is that multiple generations will be reminded of the notion of good housekeeping that vanished under the torrent of almost free cash we had.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

MrFunkyZombaloo

Quote Originally Posted by commonman View Post
    You are in the same boat as myself, but who do you think is suffering the most with this austerity.
    Mostly middle income families, the disabled, the sick, children, the unemployed.

I don't believe the government should indiscriminately slash spending either. Prioritisation is the key. The government raised 56.6billion in revenue in 2012. We can easily afford to fund education, health, welfare and justice (among others) with that level of state(and local) funding.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunkyZombaloo View Post
    Mostly middle income families, the disabled, the sick, children, the unemployed.

I don't believe the government should indiscriminately slash spending either. Prioritisation is the key. The government raised 56.6billion in revenue in 2012. We can easily afford to fund education, health, welfare and justice (among others) with that level of state(and local) funding.
    Great talking about funding these sectors but when these sectors have their hands out for more and more and more expecting a bottomless bucket of cash to be always available.

Income Taxation is theft of an individuals income they have earned.

Claiming that its is to help society in general doesn't wash when elements of the society only ever wish to be the recipients and never feel they should be obliged to contribute anything.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast