Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Is Traveller Culture worth Protecting?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Is Traveller Culture worth Protecting?

It's a bit of a provocative thread title and I don't want to limit the discussion by making a long OP so I will leave it to ye all to discuss whether traveller culture is worth preserving in contemporary Ireland or should the Pavee be integrated into mainstream Irish/neo-Irish culture.

It is not surprising therefore, that the Economic and Social Research Institute concluded that
    "... the circumstances of the Irish Travelling people are intolerable. No humane and decent society, once made aware of such circumstances, could permit them to persist".
    (ESRI, July 1986, Paper no. 131).

Traveller life expectancy is far lower than the settled population so could this be a justification for eradicating some of their cultural habits which lead to a cultural group in a modern democratic state being worse off than many of those in third world countries.

Or should all culture be preserved and celebrated.

Thoughts.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you mean by 'culture'?

Bare knuckle boxing? Alcoholism? Domestic violence?

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There was a traveler wedding in town last weekend, Cinderella type horse drawn carriage, pink stretch limo, yellow hummer,everything from top hats to jeans, certainly different...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

/Mod/ There's a huge, active thread on this here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture...-backyard.html /MOD/
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.