Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Us and them. Relationships for a United Ireland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Us and them. Relationships for a United Ireland

Good evening. This article could be in the NI section, although it's really about a United Ireland. It's about NI attitudes to us and ROI attitudes to them. Hence, us and them. I'd like to put it in the NI forum, but it would appear that NI threads are banned from general viewing, locked up in a cabinet, no doubt in some downstairs WC with a 'beware of the leopard' sign to provide further protection.

I find this slightly disheartening. I recall there have been many issues in the past where the site was inundated with hate threads based in the NI forum, something the site doesn't need. Nonetheless, is there not a possibility that we could try to return the forum to the front page on a trial basis?

Perhaps this thread may be a template for things to come. In a previous thread on much the same subject I did ask the posters to treat the thread with just a little bit of respect, and you know what, that's exactly what happened. The advantage I have is that I can happily be an idiot on these kinds of threads, asking naive questions (being naive) and not get trolled to death.

Eh? Oh yeah, the actual thread. My thesis is that we have had three ages in relationships in the modern era, as outlines below.

In the first age that comprises the 70's, 80's and early 90's we had abject negativity on both sides of the border. I would suggest that the majority of residents in ROI wanted nothing to do with NI on the basis of the threat of violence coming down south. Which reminds me, with very notable exceptions, why was there no loyalist campaign down south? Maybe for another thread....

Similarly, for NI, the vast majority wanted nothing to do with ROI. This also include a sizeable minority of Catholics whose attitude was based not only that ROI was an economic backwater, but that all the joys of free sex, contraception and other niceties were banned in the south.

In the second age in the late 90's and 00's we had a bit of a sea change. This was in the middle of house-flipping boom. NI looked upon ROI as being some sort of weird dream where the ugly bastard love child becomes a prince, and we looked upon NI with some sort of happy benevolence now that the Troubles appeared to over. Will we ever see the likes of those times again?

Now we are in the third age. Interestingly enough, the smug grins north of the border as our economy imploded, have been replaced with frowns as the moron developers who led our property bubble were as active north of the border as they were south. In short, both countries appear to be in the you-know-what only being kept afloat by massive capital injections by our supposed benefactors.

So in 2013 where is the relationship now? Leaving aside the political and religious differences, a big ask I know, we find that economically, we are as welded to hip more than ever. I'm up in Belfast every week and find NI a great place to do business in. My opinion is that the economic connections are far and above the most important element in our relationships. But as of now, culturally, it suits the politicians to allow things to continue as they are with no great plan for any further integration.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've asked btb to have a conversation with me about past events. He didn't reply.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gruben a tree, My daughter set a summer vacation with kids, she's active sport girl, Voleyball competitions in EU, so bring some interest.

Eva not a bookeeper.. Ah, that's i really regret's Frau mutter like her..

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Ireland is united, won't Dublin play the part of London and the Home Counties and the north play the part of Geordieland or ey up Yorkshiremen? I can't see this as an improvement.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    If Ireland is united, won't Dublin play the part of London and the Home Counties and the north play the part of Geordieland or ey up Yorkshiremen? I can't see this as an improvement.
    No. Just no. When Ireland becomes united we don't have to take on the characteristics of the previous setup.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well for economy, Should the Fine Gael make a foreign trip to Ukrain bring some managments
    bussiness plans, the strategic branch of interest.

Can Fine Gael attach bussiness plans now! to the society missions.

Sie Sind do plans...
    what's key interest..

How move the people to office and where's ideas.

Who are consultants, who responsible for taxes, what outter positions

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks to fianna fail destroying ireland there won't be a united ireland for decades to come. As regards northerners a lot of people in the 26 counties would stereotype northerners as been stingy with money, not actually true given the fact that the 6 counties had a property bubble and subsequent crash. Many unionists would regard people in the south as culturally tolerant of corruption with a very lax stance towards the rule of law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergus34 View Post
    Well for economy, Should the Fine Gael make a foreign trip to Ukrain bring some managments
    bussiness plans, the strategic branch of interest.

Can Fine Gael attach bussiness plans now! to the society missions.

Sie Sind do plans...
    what's key interest..

How move the people to office and where's ideas.

Who are consultants, who responsible for taxes, what outter positions
    What the feck are you on about???????????? Go away please.

Put simply until the population of the north decide jointly and peacefully what they wish to do nothing will happen. And so it should be.
    I see no real prospect of this anytime soon. If a day comes when the island can be unified with overwhelming public support so be it. Otherwise some sort of 51% majority would be a disaster and we would merely incorporate a nasty sectraian dispute into out country.
    The Brits caused the mess, let them sort it out. We'll take it back when its fixed.
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Opinion Polls in the South are always or at least nearly always Pro UI.

I'd guess it's 30 years away.

Would be closer if SF did us all a favour & disbanded.

Ukip & their English Home Rule Parliament effort could expedite affairs.

Likewise Salmond in Scotland, though I do enjoy watching Unionists being sliced to death by a thousand cuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    You're wrong, as usual. There will be productive parts like Belfast and Derry contributing to central government, conversely there will be other sh!tholes like Larne and Lisburn being a drain. No different from Dublin and Cork being contributors and Connemara and Limerick sucking money out of the Treasury. Unless you advocate we ditch the West of Ireland?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast