Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Europe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How do you feel about Europe?

No, this isn't a thread about the EU, it about the continent, and I think its important to make that distinction. I suppose as an island nation we've always, like Britain, felt a sense of distinction from our neighbours on the Mainland. Perhaps its simply because we don't share our languages with any on the mainland or that we have generally looked to our diaspora on other continents, particularly North America, for cultural links - the phrase "closer to Boston than Berlin" springs to mind.

I think in spite of increasing dissatisfaction with the EU, we should attempt to forge a sense of Europeanness within this continent, and indeed within Ireland itself. This sense of continental communality is not new, pan-Africanism and pan-South Americanism (or Latin America in some cases) are both both becoming increasingly common in their respective continents, both politically and culturally.

But that's only my opinion. I can understand how many would turn away from the idea of a European identity given the state the continent is in at this moment in time. But I do think that we should try and distinguish between the political aspect of Europe and the cultural aspect of it, the fact that we belong to a continent with huge diversity and which, despite its bloody, brutal treatment of peoples in other parts of the world, is a cultural powerhouse that has shaped the world we live in today.

Apologies if this post sounds too flowery, but I do think that we need to make an effort to emphasise Europe and our place within it. So, do you see yourself as a European and how do you regard Europe in general?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do you feel about Europe?

Feking great band.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Definitely. There is a massive difference between the political and the people. This is true everywhere as most people are generally good where as politicians generally are not.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are there weapons big enough??........

simeongrimes

How and why should we forge a Europen identity. The best thing about Europe is its wonderful diversity. The oppressive uniformism of the EU is killing the relaxed friendly Europe that had emerged since the US, USSR and China took over as the worlds military powers. Most of the cities worth visiting are in Europe. Most of the great classical music, art and literature comes from Europe and comes down through history like a great discourse.

Who always screwed up Europe? Not the painters or the writers. It was the political people. The revolutionarys the reactionaries and the opportunists. Now they are in charge of everything and they have created a monster. Europe will still be Europle when the EU is dead an gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I gad about Europe of a morning, I feel fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    How and why should we forge a Europen identity. The best thing about Europe is its wonderful diversity. The oppressive uniformism of the EU is killing the relaxed friendly Europe that had emerged since the US, USSR and China took over as the worlds military powers. Most of the cities worth visiting are in Europe. Most of the great classical music, art and literature comes from Europe and comes down through history like a great discourse.

Who always screwed up Europe? Not the painters or the writers. It was the political people. The revolutionarys the reactionaries and the opportunists. Now they are in charge of everything and they have created a monster. Europe will still be Europle when the EU is dead an gone.
    An identity can easily acknowledge this diversity, as is happening in places like Northern Ireland at the moment. I'm not saying Europe should give up its plethora of cultures for one giant conglomerate, just that we acknowledge it and embrace the fact that we are Europeans. Not in a nationalist sort of way, but in an acknowledgement of our differences and what we share in common. A bit like how the Swiss view themselves, despite featuring three seemingly distinct cultures in one country.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which bit of Europe?

Remove Europe's Christian heritage from the equation and there is next to nothing that uniquely identifies people as 'European'. Attempts to construct a 'European identity' are forced and artificial. I have little or nothing in common with a Greek or a Hungarian person culturally, less certainly than with an Australian or an American. So a European identity must necessarily rely upon the political institutions of the EU - without it all talk of being 'European' is a nonsense.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Which bit of Europe?

Remove Europe's Christian heritage from the equation and there is next to nothing that uniquely identifies people as 'European'. A.
    Is Christianity especially European. I always thought Christ was born and bred in the Middle East. Can you point me to the White Jebus bible. Europe had a dark Pagan heritage which was replaced with a imported really perverse form of Christianity as a heritage, Catholic or Prod variety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Which bit of Europe?

Remove Europe's Christian heritage from the equation and there is next to nothing that uniquely identifies people as 'European'. Attempts to construct a 'European identity' are forced and artificial. I have little or nothing in common with a Greek or a Hungarian person culturally, less certainly than with an Australian or an American. So a European identity must necessarily rely upon the political institutions of the EU - without it all talk of being 'European' is a nonsense.
    Culture is a shared feature of Europe. The renaissance, enlightment, the Catholic Church, Roman Empire, Latin language (perhaps our common European native tongue), not to mention Europe at one time or another conquering most of the known world.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast