Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish integration.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish integration.

Irish people in UK 'less likely to identify themselves as British' than other groups - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It would seem that we have a problem in integrating in to Britain. Many of the poster bemoan the lack of intergration of immigrants in to lreland. Sauce for the goose is surly sauuce for the gander?
    Is it only Britain that we find it difficult to find a new life or do we try harder in other countries to integrate or prehaps in other countries like Australia and the United States that they would not tolerate this kind of nonsense?
    #freerick

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a product of recent history, and fairly natural. I don't see a problem with Irish people in the UK recognizing that they are, indeed, Irish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, the UK census has a box specifically for 'White Irish'. Hence the reason for not identifying as 'White British'. Don't know if they mentioned that in your link article...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crack hoe View Post
    Irish people in UK 'less likely to identify themselves as British' than other groups - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

It would seem that we have a problem in integrating in to Britain. Many of the poster bemoan the lack of intergration of immigrants in to lreland. Sauce for the goose is surly sauuce for the gander?
    Is it only Britain that we find it difficult to find a new life or do we try harder in other countries to integrate or prehaps in other countries like Australia and the United States that they would not tolerate this kind of nonsense?
    There is no mention in your link of Irish people finding it difficult to find a new life in Britain - none whatsoever. It simply states that Irish people are more likely to retain their identity than some others.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    It's a product of recent history, and fairly natural. I don't see a problem with Irish people in the UK recognizing that they are, indeed, Irish...

How about any other ethnic group or are we special?
    #freerick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Up to them what they call themselves. I have no trouble saying that I am both British and Irish as I was born in Britain, but I'd think my parents odd if they started calling themselves British when they're clearly not.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev408 View Post
    There is no mention in your link of Irish people finding it difficult to find a new life in Britain - none whatsoever. It simply states that Irish people are more likely to retain their identity than some others.
    Yes you are correct there is no mention of it
    What would consider to be full integration in the host country?
    #freerick

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes we are a special case. So says Enda and grumpy chops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being British doesn't cancel out Irish though.

Irish Catholics by and large have always mentally and physically ghettoised themselves wherever they went - the US, Australia, England, Scotland etc. It's bizarre. You'd understand it had they went to places that were actually foreign i.e. had another language and an unfamiliar culture, but they even did it in the anglosphere.

The article doesn't make it clear what Irish people it's talking about either. First generation? New immigrants? or is this third, fourth generation "Irish" British people?
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Up to them what they call themselves. I have no trouble saying that I am both British and Irish as I was born in Britain, but I'd think my parents odd if they started calling themselves British when they're clearly not.
    So the Olympian African guy with 10000m gold and the hand signal M thing he does is not british?
    #freerick

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast