Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alleged (but actually innocent) 'taxi fare dodger' beats the internet; judge criticises posters' "vacant, idle and meddlesome heads"

Default Alleged (but actually innocent) 'taxi fare dodger' beats the internet; judge criticises posters' "vacant, idle and meddlesome heads"

Dublin student wrongly accused of evading a taxi fare wins case | BreakingNews.ie

Eoin McKeogh, has taken on the internet in the High Court, and won.

Wrongly accused of being a taxi fare dodger (and I seem to remember him taking some abuse on this site), McKeogh's reputation has been vindicated in the High Court.

From IrishTimes.com

The student sought a mandatory injunction requiring the internet companies to permanently remove the video and other material.

Today, Mr Justice Peart ordered that experts for the student meet with experts for the internet companies on how to go about taking down the material permanently on a worldwide basis.

The experts should be nominated within 14 days and the meeting between them take place within the following fortnight. When reports have been prepared an exchanged, the matter can come back before the court to “consider the position which emerges”, the judge said.

Does this ring any bells?

There followed, the judge said, “a miscellany of the most vile, crude, obscene and generally obnoxious comments” about the man on YouTube and Facebook.

The clip went viral and “all manner of nasty and seemingly idle minds got to work and as seems to happen with apparent impunity nowadays on social media sites”, posted whatever vile and abusive first thing that came into the “vacant, idle and meddlesome heads,” the judge said.
    Court orders removal of Dublin taxi YouTube clip - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 16, 2013
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Delighted to see this. There are far too many people posting on the Internet - and a few around these parts - who equate freedom of speech with a right to libel, vilify and generally utter careless and groundless accusations against people without a single shred of evidence to back up any of their statements. And they are the biggest threat to freedom of expression on the net.
    But life is going to be a lot more difficult for site owners.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The jurisdiction of the Irish High Court does not extend outside the boundaries of the Irish state so I really don't see how Justice Michael Peart can ensure compliance with the orders he handed down.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good for him.

I hope and trust that the young fellow at the FF Ard Fheis whose faced trial by the internet for what was, at most, an ill judged comment (if said at all) takes note and follows up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rant_and_rave View Post
    The jurisdiction of the Irish High Court does not extend outside the boundaries of the Irish state so I really don't see how Justice Michael Peart can ensure compliance with the orders he handed down.
    He can't. But youtube should have taken it down if they knew he was innocent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Delighted to see this. There are far too many people posting on the Internet - and a few around these parts - who equate freedom of speech with a right to libel, vilify and generally utter careless and groundless accusations against people without a single shred of evidence to back up any of their statements. And they are the biggest threat to freedom of expression on the net.
    But life is going to be a lot more difficult for site owners.
    I agree entirely. The hinternet is a grand forum for open discussion and mucking about, but after the 'crowd sourced' "Has bag, is Brown!" witchhunts in the wake of the Boston Bombings, the limits of what the internet can produce in respect to real world opinion is painfully apparent. We have reached the point where the word 'internet' infront of words like opinion, poll or journalism, simply serve to discredit them.

Mind you, some still don't get it. After the afore mentioned Boston Bombing witchhunts, some internet guru lu-la was on BBC telling us all how crowd sourcing will be an important part of police investigations in the future. God forbid. Our law enforcement has better things to do than wade through the bile that loons, racists, bullys and spooky loners who live on the internet barf up.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    He can't. But youtube should have taken it down if they knew he was innocent.
    there was nothing wrong with the video though, just the some clown attributed the wrong person to it. The same thing could happen if the gardai put out a video and it went viral.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Emerald Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the Irish judiciary, would carry on the struggle, until, in God’s good time, the regulatory heroic, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old guard. Good man yerself, Willy.”
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Quote Originally Posted by NewGoldDream View Post
    Good for him.

I hope and trust that the young fellow at the FF Ard Fheis whose faced trial by the internet for what was, at most, an ill judged comment (if said at all) takes note and follows up.
    What's all this?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    What's all this?
    A FaceBook campaign, picked up by some SF posters here, some young fellow going into the FF Ard Fheis allegedly made some comment, next thing his identity was being put all over FaceBook and even on posts here. The usual trial by internet thing that seems to work fine for those who then whine about proper trials.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast