Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: ET can't fone home: Gvmt 2 get power 2 shut down fone networks

Default ET can't fone home: Gvmt 2 get power 2 shut down fone networks

It emerged yesterday that the Government is to tag an amendment to a bill currently going through the Dáil [Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) (Amendment) Bill 2013], in which it will create powers which allow parts of mobile phone networks to be shut down.

According to RTE.ie:

Under the amendments, a direction may be issued to mobile phone service providers to shut down services in areas where there is deemed to be a threat to life or property, in limited areas.
    It's all related to the upcoming G8 summit (which, while taking place in Fermanagh, is nonetheless taking place in a different jurisdiction).

RTE.ie says:

The minister said it was possible terrorist groups may use the G8 Summit to garner publicity for themselves, but that was not to ignore the very real danger of loss of life if such a device were successfully detonated
    Is this appropriate?

Is this big brother gone mad?

Has the Minister been put under pressure to introduce these laws?

New law would allow for mobile phone shutdown - RTÉ News
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 16th May 2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: double-type
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seriously, are thread titles like this going to become the norm? Amend title or zoo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Assad reads this and thinks, "why didn't I think of this?"

BTW, my old English teacher would be distraught at the thread title.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Seriously, are thread titles like this going to become the norm? Amend title or zoo?
    It's quite clever actually.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    You're here, aren't you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    It's all related to the upcoming G8 summit (which, while taking place in Fermanagh, is nonetheless taking place in a different jurisdiction).
    Thats probably true. Shutting down mobile phone coverage has for some time been a tool in the arsenal of law enforcement in various countries. After the Boston bombings for example, mobile phone networks were cut. There have been more localised examples in Europe as well, where targetted criminals or areas are isolated from mobile phone signals. The only surprise is that no provision has been in place to do this in Ireland before now, especaily as some of the very first examples of bombs detonated by mobile phone took place in here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post

Is this appropriate?

Is this big brother gone mad?

Is the Minister been put under pressure to introduce these laws?

New law would allow for mobile phone shutdown - RTÉ News
    This is more securocrat mania. Shatter never saw a bill giving more power to the government he didn't like. Why oh why are bringing this in I just do not see the point. Anyone planning to blast the G8 will have been planning it for months. Like a lot of security measures it will discommode the ordinary citizen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm.
    A warning comes in of a Bomb that detonates by remote control via mobile phone. Government has power to temporary shut down mobile network and save lives vs me not able to update Instagram with a picture of my sandwich?
    Well don't thread on me you fascists!!!

Remember the tyranny that existed 15 years ago when noone had mobiles? T'was hell so it was!
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would think that ll sensible Western European states have this right anyway. It's prime aim is to allow the shut down of phone networks when their is an imminent threat of a bomb being detonated by mobile phone.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0man View Post
    Thats probably true. Shutting down mobile phone coverage has for some time been a tool in the arsenal of law enforcement in various countries. After the Boston bombings for example, mobile phone networks were cut. There have been more localised examples in Europe as well, where targetted criminals or areas are isolated from mobile phone sugnals. The only surprise is that no provision has been in place to do this in Ireland before now.
    Yes, but in Boston the network was shut down AFTER the attack, not in case there was one

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast