Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Submissions to the Constitutional Convention

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Submissions to the Constitutional Convention

I have not see anything on this here.
    Do you want to change the way we elect TDs? · TheJournal.ie

Constitutional Convention is seeking submissions from the public on the way in which politicians are elected to Dáil Éireann

The Convention – which has already considered issues such as as same-sex marriage and reducing the presidential term – will consider whether the Constitution should be amended to change the way politicians are elected to the Dáil.

Personally I think we should abolish the party whip system. If we are to outsource our vote to an elected representative, they should be free to vote which ever way they choose on the matter of the day, and not be force to tow the party line. Too many hide behind this system. Free votes should be a feature of the Irish parliamentary tradition.

Submissions can be made here: http://www.constitution.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The options being looked at
    http://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-a...23570-May2013/

PR-STV
    making current constituencies larger
    making current constituencies smaller

Similar to NI or UK

The List System
    Closed List
    Open List
    Free List

Or a mixture - 2/3rds elected by PR-STV and remainder elected by List, used in Germany and New Zeeland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magpie View Post
    I have not see anything on this here.
    Do you want to change the way we elect TDs? · TheJournal.ie

Personally I think we should abolish the party whip system. If we are to outsource our vote to an elected representative, they should be free to vote which ever way they choose on the matter of the day, and not be force to tow the party line. Too many hide behind this system. Free votes should be a feature of the Irish parliamentary tradition.

Submissions can be made here: http://www.constitution.ie/
    You cannot abolish the whip system without abolishing the party's first. The whip system is only an internal party discipline mechanism - every deputy can vote as they like on any vote. They choose not to for personal progression and survival in politics reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could Ireland change how it elects its TDs? Here are the options

PR-STV

Similar to NI or UK

The List System
    Closed List
    Open List
    Free List

Or a mixture - 2/3rds elected by PR-STV and remainder elected by List, used in Germany and New Zeeland.
    No mention of direct democracy no?
    Last edited by Telemachus; 25th May 2013 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=Telemachus;6806203]
    Could Ireland change how it elects its TDs? Here are the options

PR-STV

Similar to NI or UK

The List System
    Closed List
    Open List
    Free List

Or a mixture - 2/3rds elected by PR-STV and remainder elected by List, used in Germany and New Zeeland.[/QUOTE

No mention of direct democracy no?
    I could live with say 100 single seat STV constituencies topped up by 50 list seats for parties that meet a threshold like 4 or 5% that you find in other countries.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    You cannot abolish the whip system without abolishing the party's first. The whip system is only an internal party discipline mechanism - every deputy can vote as they like on any vote. They choose not to for personal progression and survival in politics reasons.

The whip system, as use in Ireland, is an oppressive and counter productive as TDs are required to vote with their party. Free votes are not permitted.
    Imagine that, free votes are not permitted, not exactly democratic is it?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My submission to this 'constitutional convention by appointment'. 'You are a rigged assembly. GET LOST.'
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as has been shown numerous times, we have a dire need of recall elections in this country as MONC are voted on party lines and not by whether or not the individual should go.

e.g by the signatures of 1/3 of the house, a person could be sent for recall election within 48 hours of that vote

also bring in a constitutional requirement, like germany, that all public representatives are to vote by conscience
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Imagine if the general election system were proposed as one third of the assembly being installed without a vote by the political parties, and the rest being 'recommended' mysteriously as persons of character...

You wouldn't call that a democracy would you? And yet this is how this supposedly representative assembly has been constituted to muse on the Constitution of a Republic.

Balls. Ignore it. They don't have the right.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I can say is we need to limit the number of TD's in every county. Like in all seriousness we do not need any more than 60-70 in total to my mind.
    SwK
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast