Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local Protest Groups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Local Protest Groups

This is a thread to tell us about any local protest groups in your area that are unaligned with any political party. These groups range from well organised sensible people to calamitous clowns. The purpose of the thread is to get a feel for the level of anger among people in Ireland and get a sense of what they are angry about in different areas. So please tell us about local protest groups in your community.

Here is one group in Galway I find quite amusing. They are called "Galway weekly march in solidarity with everyone suffering". They have been marching for 10 weeks now in protest against anything and everything. They sometimes only get 4 people at their marches but they walk on the road and block cars for it nonetheless. On their facebook page they seem to be getting upset the people of Galway won't support them in their protest against nothing in particular. This was the latest post they made:

is there anybody out there? what is the craic with lack of support for this weekly march? I really need to know as I am fast losing faith in everybody. In 10 weeks we've had 4 people from outside the usual marchers/protestors and when launched it was envisaged after all the grief of the last 5 years surely the people would come and support each other now. How wrong we were. Maybe I'm expecting too much and in fact every single person in Galway City ids busy except for the same 4 - 10 people who show up week in week out. Please people. We are at nothing without all of your support and so far we haven't seen any of it. There is no trouble at these marches, not one single bullet has been fired as yet. no groups of radicalised nutters have shown up. The chance of nutters or garda having to show up to police large numbers showing would be a fine thing. It would beat standing around waiting patiently for people to come along and stand up for the,selves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Quote Originally Posted by Rural View Post
    The old Greystones (Co. Wicklow) cinema
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post

Is there just the four of them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    The old Greystones (Co. Wicklow) cinema
    Fair play to the few people in Galway - But Galway says NO to what? It just reminded me of the Fr. Ted episode. Is that cinema still in Greystones?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joking aside I do admire the people doing it. At least they are getting up off their holes, to use a charming old Irish expression I adore, and doing something.

People on P.ie are always claiming they'd got on a protest - if someone else set it up of course, and there were no Shinners/Unions/Common People there, and not next Tuesday because I've a hair appointment then, and not if there'll be any trouble, and only if there's catering laid on...

Bless them. They really do need a few more people though and I agree with rural - more specific signs.

What does Galway so "no" to?
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair play to the few people in Galway - But Galway says NO to
    Ulster?
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blokesbloke View Post
    Joking aside I do admire the people doing it. At least they are getting up off their holes, to use a charming old Irish expression I adore, and doing something.

People on P.ie are always claiming they'd got on a protest - if someone else set it up of course, and there were no Shinners/Unions/Common People there, and not next Tuesday because I've a hair appointment then, and not if there'll be any trouble, and only if there's catering laid on...

Bless them. They really do need a few more people though and I agree with rural - more specific signs.

What does Galway so "no" to?
    I suppose there is so much to protest about at the moment and if it is said is very general terms then self interest groups will not hi-jack the protest. But this little group are far too general, I mean, it could be the weather they are protesting against and rightly so, in my opinion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The time for Galway to say NO was when all them helicopters were flying the high and the mighty in to town and making decisions which bankrupt the country.

It is years too late now.

People, who said nothing during the Celtic tiger era, when the harm was being done, have not much credibility now.

The time to say NO. was when we had a virtual oligarchy of a small number of powerful people in government, banks, media etc telling anyone who objected to commit suicide.

The people of this effin country are tired of the WE_ARE_ALL_TO_BLAME crew who did nothing then now setting us at each other's throats.

Fair play to the few people in Galway - But Galway says NO to what? It just reminded me of the Fr. Ted episode. Is that cinema still in Greystones?
    No, the cinema has closed (2007, I think). Bray cinema also closed; a victim of the success of Dundrum cinema.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast