Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 214 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: No GAA Investigation Into U12 IRA Medals

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default No GAA Investigation Into U12 IRA Medals

The GAA has been unable to give any details of an investigation into an incident where a mother complained that her son was presented with an IRA medal after a match last year.

Last June the furious mother of the 11-year-old boy said the medal presented to the under-12 boys at Galbally Pearses club in Tyrone featured Martin McCaughey, who was shot dead by the SAS in 1990.

“It was outrageous. My son was asking what the hero did,” the anonymous mother told the BBC. The Ulster GAA Council said at the time it would investigate if the mother came forward.

The News Letter asked Ulster GAA yesterday what the outcome of the investigation was, but a spokesman was not able to say that any probe took place.
    Ulster GAA admits no evidence of probe into IRA medals complaint - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

So rather than take any action (god forbid) the Ulster GAA's excuse is that the mother chose to remain anonymous therefore no action was required. laughable, I am sure it's not beyond anyone (well some) on here's imagination to figure out why she wanted to remain anonymous. BBC News - Mother's anger over GAA club's 'IRA medals' for under-12s

Now before the usual suspects jump to the GAA's defense and take issue with a PUL for daring to criticize the GAA . Consider this if the IFA was issuing billy Wright medals to under 12's at the Lenny Murphy Memorial ground would you be happy for tens of millions of public money to be given to that 'sporting' organisation?

The Ulster GAA should have the guts to publicly either condone or support these events...

Oh and once upon a time The GAA’s Ulster president Tom Daly said: “GAA places and spaces have been places where everybody, irrespective of political affiliation or none, has been welcome.”

Really? I beg to differ...

Sunday Life reveals sports body

GAA

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | IRA names could mean GAA fund cut

GAA DISTANCES ITSELF FROM IRA COMMEMORATIONS - Local - Mid Ulster Mail

GAA to investigate IRA memorial football match - Local - Mid Ulster Mail

Anger over

“To All GAA Fans… Support The Hunger Strikers” leaflet | Irish Election Literature

GAA President participates in Hunger Strike Commemorations « Slugger O'Toole

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | GAA accused over rally at ground

BBC NEWS | UK | Northern Ireland | McCausland slams H-Block event

and so on and on and on... cue gnashing of teeth and whatabouttery...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Excellent OP.

Hardly surprising the mother didn't come forward. She has her family to consider.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The IRA Army Council,sorry i mean the county board have asked me not to comment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That comes as absolutely no surprise whatsoever. No doubt we shall now have pages of 'debate' in which CNRs will vigorously defend the GAA as a non sectarian organisation, open to all and with no links to terrorism. They never let the facts get in the way after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suggest you put a link up to how the GAA dealt with a Donegal player who was bitten by a Dublin player.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    I suggest you put a link up to how the GAA dealt with a Donegal player who was bitten by a Dublin player.
    Why? Do Donegal or Dublin GAA get Funding from the NI Assembly/British Government?

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Hardly surprising the mother didn't come forward. She has her family to consider.
    Wonder if she even exists. Anonymous indeed.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Wonder if she even exists. Anonymous indeed.
    We both know what would happen if she dared go public.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be Okay for the OO to hand out medals commemorating the British Army though would it not?

One man's Army, another man's occupying force.

One man's terrorist, another man's freedom fighter.

No comparison between people taking on the British/Orange state and people running around cutting up random Catholics.

Stop funding the British sec forces and we'll stop funding the GAA.

Stop commemorating the British sec forces and we'll stop commemorating the IRA.

There's my Irish Republican view on it, now give my head a holiday Bridges ffs will ye!
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    We both know what would happen if she dared go public.
    What, she would be took out by the defunct Provos? This is not 1970 Cruimh, the Provos are gone, even in places like Creggan in Derry they have completely stopped.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Page 1 of 214 123451151101 ... LastLast