Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Scandal #3: The IRS Report

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Obama Scandal #3: The IRS Report

The Inspector General's report about the IRS unit in Cincinnati that appeared to be targeting conservative groups inappropriately is now out. The WaPo:

Federal authorities have opened a criminal investigation of whether Internal Revenue Service employees broke the law when they targeted conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status — the latest setback for an agency that is the subject of withering bipartisan criticism and multiple congressional inquiries.

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said Tuesday that the Justice Department and the FBI began the probe after the IRS acknowledged that it selected conservative groups with the words “tea party” and “patriot” in their names for special reviews.

“We are examining the facts to see if there were criminal violations,” Holder said at a news conference.

Also Tuesday, a widely anticipated report by the IRS’s watchdog described the agency’s tax-exempt unit — where the screening of conservative groups occurred — as a bureaucratic mess, with some employees ignorant about tax laws, defiant of their supervisors and blind to the appearance of impropriety.
    Criminal probe of IRS launched as report details targeting of conservative groups - The Washington Post

Here is a digest of the report from the always outstanding Politico:

5 takeaways from IRS report - Kelsey Snell and Lauren French - POLITICO.com

Here are the 5 takeaways they list:

- IRS agents weren't partisan
    - Unclear on whether the IRS misled Congress
    - Asking about donors crossed the line
    - The IRS hasn't fixed all the problems
    - No plans to crack down on 501(c)(4) groups

A reminder that this story has been compared to Watergate. Here, by veteran WaPo legend George Will:

George Will: IRS scandal carries echoes of Watergate - The Washington Post

And here and here and here and here:
    IRS scandal shows that we've forgotten Watergate's lesson - George F. Will
    Watergate revisited: did Obama's tax officials at the IRS target Republicans? - IV Drip - Voices - The Independent
    IRS Scandal Echoes a Long History of Political Harassment | TIME.com

Here is what any impartial observer should conclude: This is yet another trumped-up, bogus non-scandal. In fact, of the 3 current scandals doing the rounds, this ranks as the least serious behind Benghazi and AP. The IG report is immeasurably less serious than most people thought it would be 24 hours ago. And yet, in the US, it is playing as the most serious.

Here's the problem. The liberal media and wider liberal commentariat are desperate - desperate - to appear even-handed. They've spent 4 years cheering on Obama. They know this perception is strong out there, and so when this chance comes along to be supportive of conservative groups, they've all jumped into the groupthink boat and are having a field day at the Administration's expense.

In essence, what happened in Cincinnati is that a flood of applications for tax exempt status were coming in the door. The office needed to differentiate those groups that may have been ineligible due to being too political from other groups - like traditional charities - who had no political side to them. And so, as the applications came in, they were tagged "tea party" or "patriot" or whatnot so that they would ping in the system as being in need of further investigation.

As regards those subsequent investigation, the report, somewhat bafflingly, says the IRS shouldn't have asked about the groups' doners (although I'm not sure how that isn't germane to whether the grouping is political.) This is the strongest Politico can say be about it:

The Inspector General said donor lists and details were an unnecessary, burdensome request in the vetting process. That may be the biggest victory for frustrated conservatives.

Essentially, that's it. That's the whole "scandal". The report finds no partisanship in this procedure. It's about misguided and inappropriate administrative procedures.

Watergate? Even mentioning it in the same breath shows a stunning, terrifying lack of understanding about history. This is a minor, localised muddle with no political partisanship involved. The report shows that the initial reports on this "scandal" were entirely wrong and massively overblown. The report shows that this is yet again a massive overreaction by the American right, this time aided and abetted by a terrified liberal establishment desperate to show they are non-partisan and even handed. Even Obama himself is having to play this game, pretending to be "outraged".

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Power has gotten into the heads of the fools in the shObama Administration. They are behaving in an unaccountable manner.

Maybe there is a need for a one term limit on the office of POTUS.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That Will article is something to behold.

“He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavored to . . . cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be initiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner.”
    A quote from the Nixon investigations in the 70s. It's used in the first line. The author then persists in linking the 2 affairs without ever offering anything to support a claim that Obama or a subordinate has initiated audits. Nixon was found to be picking up the bloody phone and ordering investigations into rivals. Now I'm not saying Obama isn't doing that, I'm saying there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that he is.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    The Inspector General's report about the IRS unit in Cincinnati that appeared to be targeting conservative groups inappropriately is now out. The WaPo:

Criminal probe of IRS launched as report details targeting of conservative groups - The Washington Post

Here is a digest of the report from the always outstanding Politico:

Here are the 5 takeaways they list:

- IRS agents weren't partisan
    - Unclear on whether the IRS misled Congress
    - Asking about donors crossed the line
    - The IRS hasn't fixed all the problems
    - No plans to crack down on 501(c)(4) groups

A reminder that this story has been compared to Watergate. Here, by veteran WaPo legend George Will:

George Will: IRS scandal carries echoes of Watergate - The Washington Post

And here and here and here and here:
    IRS scandal shows that we've forgotten Watergate's lesson - George F. Will
    Watergate revisited: did Obama's tax officials at the IRS target Republicans? - IV Drip - Voices - The Independent
    IRS Scandal Echoes a Long History of Political Harassment | TIME.com

Here is what any impartial observer should conclude: This is yet another trumped-up, bogus non-scandal. In fact, of the 3 current scandals doing the rounds, this ranks as the least serious behind Benghazi and AP. The IG report is immeasurably less serious than most people thought it would be 24 hours ago. And yet, in the US, it is playing as the most serious.

Here's the problem. The liberal media and wider liberal commentariat are desperate - desperate - to appear even-handed. They've spent 4 years cheering on Obama. They know this perception is strong out there, and so when this chance comes along to be supportive of conservative groups, they've all jumped into the groupthink boat and are having a field day at the Administration's expense.

In essence, what happened in Cincinnati is that a flood of applications for tax exempt status were coming in the door. The office needed to differentiate those groups that may have been ineligible due to being too political from other groups - like traditional charities - who had no political side to them. And so, as the applications came in, they were tagged "tea party" or "patriot" or whatnot so that they would ping in the system as being in need of further investigation.

As regards those subsequent investigation, the report, somewhat bafflingly, says the IRS shouldn't have asked about the groups' doners (although I'm not sure how that isn't germane to whether the grouping is political.) This is the strongest Politico can say be about it:

Essentially, that's it. That's the whole "scandal". The report finds no partisanship in this procedure. It's about misguided and inappropriate administrative procedures.

Watergate? Even mentioning it in the same breath shows a stunning, terrifying lack of understanding about history. This is a minor, localised muddle with no political partisanship involved. The report shows that the initial reports on this "scandal" were entirely wrong and massively overblown. The report shows that this is yet again a massive overreaction by the American right, this time aided and abetted by a terrified liberal establishment desperate to show they are non-partisan and even handed. Even Obama himself is having to play this game, pretending to be "outraged".
    To me, from here, it seems that the Republicans have been playing hardball and using any method, no matter how low or unethical to attack the democrats since Clinton.
    The Dems seem either weak or too high minded by comparison.
    I would usually applaud their higher moral stand but they are letting the republicans do or say virtually anything with only a lackluster defense.
    The repub methods should cause a wave of revulsion through the populace if they were fully revealed and displayed for their delectation, but the Dems just don't seem as sure of their position, their moral rightness as the Repubs.
    I know there is a huge amount of frustration with the Dems shaky defence within their own faithful, any viewing of the Daily show would confirm that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    That Will article is something to behold.

A quote from the Nixon investigations in the 70s. It's used in the first line. The author then persists in linking the 2 affairs without ever offering anything to support a claim that Obama or a subordinate has initiated audits. Nixon was found to be picking up the bloody phone and ordering investigations into rivals. Now I'm not saying Obama isn't doing that, I'm saying there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that he is.
    And there doesn't seem to be any will in the media to point out the hypocrisy and exaggeration.
    Why is this? Has Fox news caused such a fright among the rest that they are terrified of being labelled liberal?

Is the USA a viable entity, in the long run?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post

The substance of the scandal - low ranking employees doing silly things on their own initiative - is indeed slight...but ...but This scandal is going to be about who knew what when, and when it was disclosed. So this could prove to be serious trouble.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Is the USA a viable entity, in the long run?
    In the long run, probably not, the only question is how long will it take to end.

It took less than a decade for the Soviet union to dissolve but it took 4 centuries for the Roman empire to collapse, and even then the Byzantine empire lasted another thousand years.

I think it'll outlast you and I at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Murphy View Post
    In the long run, probably not, the only question is how long will it take to end.

It took less than a decade for the Soviet union to dissolve but it took 4 centuries for the Roman empire to collapse, and even then the Byzantine empire lasted another thousand years.

I think it'll outlast you and I at the very least.
    It's effectively two strips of heavily populated coastline going blue, and the rest going red, is it not? How would a split work, in such circumstances?

We probably have our own urban/rural divide here, but without the gun culture.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

#impeachObama

He's drunk with power, the administration is gone rogue,

Insiders are now turning on them because other insiders died in Benghazi,

They have made a sick joke of America,

Get them out, and put before a Grand Jury,

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast