Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 to 45 year olds financially crippled while their parents sit pretty: ESRI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 30 to 45 year olds financially crippled while their parents sit pretty: ESRI

ERSI report reveals that those under forty five years old are getting hammered by the recession while those older have index linked pensions, secure working conditions, paid off mortgages and money in the bank. This is staggeringly selfish in my opinion, but I have come to expect this from those born between about 1945-1965. The level of entitlement in this generation is stunning. This generation also wrecked the economy BTW

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    ERSI report reveals that those under forty five years old are getting hammered by the recession while those older have index linked pensions, secure working conditions, paid off mortgages and money in the bank. This is staggeringly selfish in my opinion, but I have come to expect this from those born between about 1945-1965. The level of entitlement in this generation is stunning. This generation also wrecked the economy BTW
    I suppose, as a generation, they display all the symptoms of "middle-child syndrome".
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So them paying on a mortgage and paying it off over 30-40 years and maybe saving a bit of dosh is wrong and selfish? Grow up and take responsibility for your life that your parents gave you.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you share and if you do, with whom?

The old eejits paid off the mortgages with sweat and back breaking work. The younger ones got the benefits of third level education, a fat arse and a sense of entitlement that is astronomical. Many of the older, selfish baxtards had to make do with a Primary Cert and an apprenticeship that went on for 7 years.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are the last generation for which it is true that children are always richer than their parents. I'm on the next rung down and my generation are financially screwed in all directions. We have no job security, dwindling employment rights, insecure pensions at the mercy of unaccountable gamblers that will never produce enough to retire comfortably on, either no property at all and no chance of ever getting any, or saddled with a megamortgage that will continue to cripple many of my peers well past what is now retirement age....I say what is now retirement age cos the retirement age will be somewhere in the 70s by the time we get there, though it's unlikely many of us will be able to retire anyway, at any age....those with children still need two salaries coming in because one salary simply cannot support a family any more (and can't be relied upon anyway as employment security no longer exists) - but then they get ripped off for childcare...we were fed a lie. Study hard at school, we were told. Get an education or a trade, they said. Work hard, and you'll be better off than we ever were, was the golden promise. All lies.

All this caused by the Thatcherite lunatics who have been inflicted on the world for the last 30 years by....who? Yup, the generation above. Grabbing all the wealth of the world for themselves, pulling up the ladder behind them, then cr@pping on the world from a great height.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    All this caused by the Thatcherite lunatics who have been inflicted on the world for the last 30 years
    What was Thatcherite about Ireland during the Boom? The Public Sector Pay Bill Trebled, Social Welfare payments Doubled.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are also the generation who hadn't the sense to access contraception and instead brought away too many children in to the world thus ensuring that they have to live in close poverty to raise the selfish little bastards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    They are the last generation for which it is true that children are always richer than their parents. I'm on the next rung down and my generation are financially screwed in all directions. We have no job security, dwindling employment rights, insecure pensions at the mercy of unaccountable gamblers that will never produce enough to retire comfortably on, either no property at all and no chance of ever getting any, or saddled with a megamortgage that will continue to cripple many of my peers well past what is now retirement age....I say what is now retirement age cos the retirement age will be somewhere in the 70s by the time we get there, though it's unlikely many of us will be able to retire anyway, at any age....those with children still need two salaries coming in because one salary simply cannot support a family any more (and can't be relied upon anyway as employment security no longer exists) - but then they get ripped off for childcare...we were fed a lie. Study hard at school, we were told. Get an education or a trade, they said. Work hard, and you'll be better off than we ever were, was the golden promise. All lies.

All this caused by the Thatcherite lunatics who have been inflicted on the world for the last 30 years by....who? Yup, the generation above. Grabbing all the wealth of the world for themselves, pulling up the ladder behind them, then cr@pping on the world from a great height.
    I'm sorry but I can't agree with that! On a personal level, I worked hard saved 5 years for a deposit on the house, had no decent furniture for years and did all my own maintenance on the house. I also go many a saddle sore from my bicycle commutes. I see the kiddos with cars, credit cards, high life and 45 year mortgages. When an old fool like me ever had anything to say to t he wise young ones I was told that I hadn't a clue.

I went abroad and rented. I still commuted on my bike in between having the bloody things stolen. No sidey, I don't agree with you take on this!

This is staggeringly selfish in my opinion, but I have come to expect this from those born between about 1945-1965.
    This is an extremely moronic statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fairness this gap is not the fault of the older generation.
    They just had their houses bought before the boom and weren't caught the way many (but not all ) were caught in the younger bunch. They also, in many but not all cases, were bypassed by the many benefits of the boom; increased salaries etc.
    I know this isn't specifically being blamed on the older generation but there does seem to be an undercurrent of begrudgery.

Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast