Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bombing in Benghazi kills 15: Islamist militants blamed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bombing in Benghazi kills 15: Islamist militants blamed

A terrorist bombing of a hospital in Benghazi, Libya, killed 15 people and wounded dozens more. Ever since the "revolution" there has been anarchy in Libya. Foreign embassies have pulled out of the country citing safety concerns. Armed gangs of Islamist youths roam the streets and harass people trying to go about their business. Militias regularly storm government buildings and interrupt parliament whenever they don't get their way. Unemployment and poverty is now rampant in what used to be the African country with the highest standard of living. Ordinary people have begun to take to the streets in recent times to protest against the Islamists and the Muslim Brotherhood. Many Libyans blame Qatar for funding the Islamist militias and Qatari flags have been burned on the streets of Benghazi and Tripoli.

Libya: The government has got to go, say protesters | euronews, world news

.:Middle East Online::Qatar pays price for its generous support to Muslim Brotherhood :.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are these the same lads the USA and UK backed to overthrow Gaddafi and then killed the US ambassador in Benghazi?

Blow me down with a feather!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    A terrorist bombing of a hospital in Benghazi, Libya, killed 15 people and wounded dozens more. Ever since the "revolution" there has been anarchy in Libya. Foreign embassies have pulled out of the country citing safety concerns. Armed gangs of Islamist youths roam the streets and harass people trying to go about their business. Militias regularly storm government buildings and interrupt parliament whenever they don't get their way. Unemployment and poverty is now rampant in what used to be the African country with the highest standard of living. Ordinary people have begun to take to the streets in recent times to protest against the Islamists and the Muslim Brotherhood. Many Libyans blame Qatar for funding the Islamist militias and Qatari flags have been burned on the streets of Benghazi and Tripoli.

Libya: The government has got to go, say protesters | euronews, world news

.:Middle East Online::Qatar pays price for its generous support to Muslim Brotherhood :.
    But I guess we cant really lecture them about that coming from Ireland - we had a civil war after independence
    I am sure there were lots of smart arses around at the time saying that our freedom wasn't worth it
    Last edited by darkhorse; 14th May 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    But I guess we cant really lecture them about that coming from Ireland - we had a civil war after independence
    I am sure there were lots of smart arses around at the time saying that our freedom wasn't worth it
    Correct - with the UK backing one side again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Are these the same lads the USA and UK backed to overthrow Gaddafi and then killed the US ambassador in Benghazi?

Number one priority to them is that the oil is flowing unhindered out of the country.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    The war from 1916-21 was about getting the imperialists out. The "revolution" in Libya was about getting the imperialists in. The conflicts are in no way comparable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james toney View Post
    Number one priority to them is that the oil is flowing unhindered out of the country.
    Yeah, its all down to the west, why don't you turn the record over for once ?

Should the west invade & impose civilisation on these savages - oh, that was colonialism which is officially the reason for every bad thing that happened in Africa, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post

You have a lot to learn about foreign affairs. Everything is not simple and black and white. Taking your "logic", maybe they should have backed Gaddaffi? These situations are always very fluid. Getting rid of Gaddaffi was a moral imperative. Just beacuse the headhackers have moved in because there is no effective government does not mean it was wrong to assist in his overthrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    You have a lot to learn about foreign affairs. Everything is not simple and black and white. Taking your "logic", maybe they should have backed Gaddaffi? These situations are always very fluid. Getting rid of Gaddaffi was a moral imperative. Just beacuse the headhackers have moved in because there is no effective government does not mean it was wrong to assist in his overthrow.
    No it wasn't. It's you who needs to learn about foreign relations.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Should the west invade & impose civilisation on these savages..
    Are they savages because they're arabs or muslims IYO?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast