Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riots in Paris as PSG Fans go wild.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Riots in Paris as PSG Fans go wild.

PSG Riot: Paris Saint-Germain Title Celebrations Marred By Fan Violence (PHOTOS)

It's very shocking to see the extent of the damage caused by the rioters. They really ran riot.

The CRS were duly deployed. One scene in the news showed two officers challenging a couple of fans who had broken into a shop. As one of them ran out, a tiny ankle-tap saw him pitch forward head-first where his head bounced alarming of the side-wing of a car before the officer started laying in to him.

Shocking scenes.

PSG have been trying for years to clean up their image, and this will send them right back.

Nasty stuff, and they'll be hosting foreign sides next year, who may have fans who also wish to have fun.

Could soccer revert to the bad old days?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bored kids left to wait too long for arriving players get a bit lairy and the police go in all tooled up in full robocop riot gear and over react, sparking mass riots..

PSG fans have a history of being nasty b'stards, although it should also be noted the Parisian Police tend to lack some subtlety when it comes to crowd control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I remember some thing similar happening in America after some hockey team won after a long wait. So I wouldn't say it's a sign of a return to the bad old days, just scum taking advantage

Anyone rioting after a team wins a league trophy deserves everything the cops throw at them, you could make a case for the rioting in London last year and in Paris some years back as an expression of disaffection with the State but once you damage private property or break and enter a private business then you surrender any right in claiming the the riot is an expression of a disenfranchised youth.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Bored kids left to wait too long for arriving players get a bit lairy and the police go in all tooled up in full robocop riot gear and over react, sparking mass riots..

PSG fans have a history of being nasty b'stards, although it should also be noted the Parisian Police tend to lack some subtlety when it comes to crowd control.

Bored kids, would go home if the cops got over zealous not loot shops.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suppose this kind of thing is inevitable. It's a natural progression of the sort of frame of mind that people go to football matches to induce in themselves and enjoy.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    I remember some thing similar happening in America after some hockey team won after a long wait. So I wouldn't say it's a sign of a return to the bad old days, just scum taking advantage

Anyone rioting after a team wins a league trophy deserves everything the cops throw at them, you could make a case for the rioting in London last year and in Paris some years back as an expression of disaffection with the State but once you damage private property or break and enter a private business then you surrender any right in claiming the the riot is an expression of a disenfranchised youth.
    I've wondered in the past whether the CRS riot gear can indeed be a provocation.

That said, I'm mindful of the following incident I witnessed at Stade de France on the day that Dricko got his hat-trick.

The fans were all making their way quietly from the ground to the RER station to catch the shuttle to Gare du Nord.

One very obvious Ireland fan decided to have a p1ss against a coach which had no markings and blacked out windows; The CRS coach. He was peeing against the rear offside wheel. Radios must have crackled into life as six or seven robocops exited the coach and stealthily surrounded him. Then came the tap on the shoulder.

They guy most likely sh4t himself as they folded their arms, riot batons held up.For twenty seconds I waited for the poor chap to receive his comeuppance and then I realised that the CRS were taking the mickey as they began to fall around laughing.

They are commonly deployed along the routes of peacfeul protests and don't seem to inspire violence by their presence (not always, at least).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    I've wondered in the past whether the CRS riot gear can indeed be a provocation.

That said, I'm mindful of the following incident I witnessed at Stade de France on the day that Dricko got his hat-trick.

The fans were all making their way quietly from the ground to the RER station to catch the shuttle to Gare du Nord.

One very obvious Ireland fan decided to have a p1ss against a coach which had no markings and blacked out windows; The CRS coach. He was peeing against the rear offside wheel. Radios must have crackled into life as six or seven robocops exited the coach and stealthily surrounded him. Then came the tap on the shoulder.

They guy most likely sh4t himself as they folded their arms, riot batons held up.For twenty seconds I waited for the poor chap to receive his comeuppance and then I realised that the CRS were taking the mickey as they began to fall around laughing.

They are commonly deployed along the routes of peacfeul protests and don't seem to inspire violence by their presence (not always, at least).
    I used to work beside their training base. You wouldn't want to get into a row with them. They have a fearsome reputation which can sometimes lead the foolhardy and the drunk to test their mettle.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    That would be mostly the Canadians (for once they'd be happy to be mistaken for yanks)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/wo...uver.html?_r=0

Crazy Canucks!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    He was peeing against the rear offside wheel.

The French do seem to take the view that when you gotta go you gotta go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Soccer is the team sport with the lowest likelihood of getting what your team deserves. As an American friend put it to me, one team can dominate for 89mins and still lose 1-0.

Fans wallow in the current and past injustices and it doesn't take much for boos against the opposing team to shift to horrendous abuse of the referee to all-out violence.

And experienced hooligans know exactly what to do to kick things off and do a runner. It's the thick-headed, easily-incited eejits who get arrested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast