Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hospital Groupings being announced today, real reform or meh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Hospital Groupings being announced today, real reform or meh?

Green light today for six hospital groups - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Tue, May 14, 2013

God knows James Reilly has been a PR nightmare for the government. It would be nice to think that there has been work going on in the background that will lead to real reform in healthcare in this country which result in a better health service delivered.

Today, we'll see the detail behind the hospital grouping, which on the surface at least, seems to make sense.
    Concentrate critical activities into bigger hospitals, use smaller hospitals more specific functions rather than each smaller hospital trying to be a jack of all trades.

Today's announcement and the governments delivery on this strategy will show Reilly to be a good health minister or a failure.
    There is no Keyser Soze

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it was such a good idea, why did it take them this long to think of it ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Health boards part two.

Meh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    If it was such a good idea, why did it take them this long to think of it ?
    I despair. They haven't thought of it now. Can you not read or do you choose not to?

Reilly's been playing for this since during the election. They've been planning it and mapping out the reorganisation until now. Y'know. Like it's a business plan. Like adults would.

The plan on the face of it is a good one. Whether Reilly will be able to actually get the changes through is a different matter.

Many plans to reform our hospital system have been made before and many reports are gathering dust. But this one will be different because the Government is determined that it is implemented
    Mmmm. I bet someone can look backwards and find Harney saying something similar.

In any move like this you do the maths and realised that you can improve care to the masses and ensure more lives are saved by centralising services. The minus side of that is that people will inevitably die as a result of the decision (Which as Minister is fine, you can't save everyone and if the plan saves 5000 lives and 5 die then that's totally acceptable).

The test will be what the govt do when inevitably someone in Ballygobackwards dies because the hospital in the field next door doesn't offer the service it used to and they don't make it to the central hospital that does.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will be a dog's dinner whatever shape it takes. Another layer on top of the Department of Health and HSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

The test will be what the govt do when inevitably someone in Ballygobackwards dies because the hospital in the field next door doesn't offer the service it used to and they don't make it to the central hospital that does.
    They would need to be in place a comprehensive system of first responders in areas where hospitals will lose services just like they do in countries with well functioning health services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meh. This is just more padding, or in medical terms, like putting a band - aid on someone with a gunshot wound to the head. The health service is irretrievably bollocksed, it's a poison chalice to any minister and it'll never be fixed into something resembling what you'd find elsewhere in the developed world.

I'm surprised actually they didn't go in for a name change and come up with a new acronym while they were at it. How about the The Super Hospital Intensive Training Executive, or S.H.I.T.E for short?
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goa Tse View Post
    Meh. This is just more padding, or in medical terms, like putting a band - aid on someone with a gunshot wound to the head. The health service is irretrievably bollocksed, it's a poison chalice to any minister and it'll never be fixed into something resembling what you'd find elsewhere in the developed world.

I'm surprised actually they didn't go in for a name change and come up with a new acronym while they were at it. How about the The Super Hospital Intensive Training Executive, or S.H.I.T.E for short?
    then in your view, James Reilly has an impossible task so can't fail.
    There is no Keyser Soze

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    then in your view, James Reilly has an impossible task so can't fail.
    Well I suppose he can't fail if he doesn't bother his fat arse trying in the first place, so yeah.
    Nothing's gonna get done about anything, this is just a dog and pony show by the minister and some civil servants, so that they can be seen to be pretending to do something. Then people will forget for a little while, then they pretend to do something again. Repeat as neccesary.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 14th May 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast