Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: John McGuinness - Poacher turned gamekeeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default John McGuinness - Poacher turned gamekeeper.

You have to love Irish politics all the same. Here we have John McG spluttering on about a bank enquiry and so on and all the time we all know the skeletons in the cupboard will never see the light of day. Because as far as I can see they are all involved in shady dealings of some sort.

Take this for eg: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29263855.html

John McGuinness was appointed a junior minister in the then Department of Enterprise by Bertie Ahern in 2007. Andrew McGuinness (son) is also a Fianna Fail councillor in Kilkenny, topping the poll in 2009. Andrew McGuinness worked as his father's personal secretary. Andrew was on a basic salary of €42,000. Andrew claimed over €30,000 in overtime from the taxpayer in a single year 2008, while working at a job given to him by his father.

Andrew claimed €48,273 in overtime during his almost two years, between 2007 and 2009, in the department, and a total of €71,353 in overtime, mileage and subsistence. No details of the amount of work carried out for the overtime money was provided in a response to the Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

Andrew is also a Fianna Fail councillor in his native Kilkenny, topping the poll in the city ward in 2009. Andrew received €30,579 in salary and expenses payments from the council in 2011. Just recently the taxpayer spent €250,000 kitting out John McGuinness's new ministerial office in the Department of Enterprise in 2007 where he was only allowed to use luxury toilet rolls in the bathroom, such as "Kittensoft, Inversoft and Andrex".

John McGuinness has claimed the recent details are part of attempts to "discredit me, undermine my position as chairman of the PAC and damage the PAC's efforts to investigate" aka 'keep skeletons from dancing'.

And Pat Rabbitte blames the media for the cynicism in Irish politics. Assshoole.
    Last edited by Burnout; 14th May 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few things come to mind

1. How many hours overtime would that equate to? I reckon it to be around 12-15 hours a week (at 40 euro an hour over 48 weeks). How does that fit with health and safety regulations?

2. What was the quality of the work performed during that overtime? Was it important work to deadline or menial tasks (photocopying, reading the newspaper etc).

3. Can mileage and expenses be claimed which have already been claimed by another who actually incurred the expenses (e.g getting a lift to work in dad's car using dad's taxpayer funded fuel?)

4. Can one claim overtime solely by having a conversation in the car on the way to/from work, or over cornflakes at breakfast if one was listening to a political radio programme?

I find it very hard to see how one can earn nearly double their salary in overtime especially as I think PA's get a wage premium already factored into their salary for the anti-social demands often placed on them working for a politician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

For giggles:
    42k a year over (roughly) 220 working days at 8 hours a day translates at 24 euro an hour over 1760 hours . Let's say over time is at time and a half then is 36 euro an hour.

That would mean that he worked 833 hours overtime, meaning that he would have have to have worked 11.8 hours a day. Which seems rubbish.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Dare I ask for links? Not that I don't trust you, but I'd like to do a bit of analysis, myself.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    For giggles:
    42k a year over (roughly) 220 working days at 8 hours a day translates at 24 euro an hour over 1760 hours . Let's say over time is at time and a half then is 36 euro an hour.

That would mean that he worked 833 hours overtime, meaning that he would have have to have worked 11.8 hours a day. Which seems rubbish.
    First of all just to say that I agree fully with the OP and that the above is a disgrace.
    But being pedantic, 833 hours into 52 weeks is 16 hours per week overtime. If a politician includes going to funerals (weekends and evenings) and travel time to and from these, then I bet you could clock up 16 hours a week easy. That's IF you think that attending funerals is a function of local politicians and can be designated as overtime!!
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These hammers of the low paid worker always make certain that the rules don't apply to themselves and their families. If I remember my history correctly one of the things the protestant reformers objected to was nepotism..................................maybe they were right.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by euroboy View Post
    A few things come to mind

1. How many hours overtime would that equate to? I reckon it to be around 12-15 hours a week (at 40 euro an hour over 48 weeks). How does that fit with health and safety regulations?

2. What was the quality of the work performed during that overtime? Was it important work to deadline or menial tasks (photocopying, reading the newspaper etc).

3. Can mileage and expenses be claimed which have already been claimed by another who actually incurred the expenses (e.g getting a lift to work in dad's car using dad's taxpayer funded fuel?)

4. Can one claim overtime solely by having a conversation in the car on the way to/from work, or over cornflakes at breakfast if one was listening to a political radio programme?I find it very hard to see how one can earn nearly double their salary in overtime especially as I think PA's get a wage premium already factored into their salary for the anti-social demands often placed on them working for a politician.
    Yes. If your car is your office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Happy to oblige: Son of Dail spending chief earned

I mean it was not hidden, what else is not hidden in the bygone golden days?

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
    You have to love Irish politics all the same. Here we have John McG spluttering on about a bank enquiry and so on and all the time we all know the skeletons in the cupboard will never see the light of day. Because as far as I can see they are all involved in shady dealings of some sort. Take this for eg:

John McGuinness was appointed a junior minister in the then Department of Enterprise by Bertie Ahern in 2007. Andrew McGuinness (son) is also a Fianna Fail councillor in Kilkenny, topping the poll in 2009. Andrew McGuinness worked as his father's personal secretary. Andrew was on a basic salary of €42,000. Andrew claimed over €30,000 in overtime from the taxpayer in a single year 2008, while working at a job given to him by his father.

Andrew claimed €48,273 in overtime during his almost two years, between 2007 and 2009, in the department, and a total of €71,353 in overtime, mileage and subsistence. No details of the amount of work carried out for the overtime money was provided in a response to the Freedom of Information (FOI) request.

Andrew is also a Fianna Fail councillor in his native Kilkenny, topping the poll in the city ward in 2009. Andrew received €30,579 in salary and expenses payments from the council in 2011. Just recently the taxpayer spent €250,000 kitting out John McGuinness's new ministerial office in the Department of Enterprise in 2007 where he was only allowed to use luxury toilet rolls in the bathroom, such as "Kittensoft, Inversoft and Andrex".

John McGuinness has claimed the recent details are part of attempts to "discredit me, undermine my position as chairman of the PAC and damage the PAC's efforts to investigate" aka 'keep skeletons from dancing'.

And Pat Rabbitte blames the media for the cynicism in Irish politics. Assshoole.

What's he got against the Eircom phonebook?
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Page 1 of 66 123451151 ... LastLast