Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Constant complaints about Irish students' grammar justified?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Constant complaints about Irish students' grammar justified?

In recent days,several P.ie commentators mentioned that even some masters degree students of their acquaintance were ungrammatical in English,possibly an indication of absurdly low grammatical standards generally.

About 20 years ago,I was shocked to hear from a friend of my niece that her secondary school had abandoned formal teaching of English grammar,apparently a common trend in schools then. That was a sharp contrast to my education when English teachers were obsessed with even obscure grammatical points such as the distinction between gerunds and past participles,which I no longer remember.

A failure to teach grammar could be down to popular American education fads unproven in empirical research. Some educators claim that students should be encouraged to express their creativity without being inhibited by grammatical rules.

Unlike in America,most Irish students have some experience of learning languages,Irish, French and Spanish, and that should give them a grammatical sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I saw/seen that yesterday.
    I did/done that yesterday.

I would use both in speech, I know one is wrong. Is it a colloquial thing?
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post

No, one is grammatically incorrect. It's got nothing to do with colloquialism, it's just wrong.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to completely agree gowning up doing ever thing with a computer.

I am doing a law degree at night and find that in class when questioned about a topic i at top off class, but in a writing test i am near bottom as i never learned how to write correctly in school and in a test i am getting slated for my writing.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i Feel its Unjustified,so i Do.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When did people start to confuse loose and lose? I never remember that being an issue but in the last three years or so every second time someone uses it they use the wrong one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobhguy View Post

I am doing a law degree at night and find that in class when questioned about a topic i at top off class, but in a writing test i am near bottom as i never learned how to write correctly in school and in a test i am getting slated for my writing.
    A book on grammar might get you through the law degree!

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It shouldn't be too hard to brush up on your writing skills and there is plenty of resources online (I know you are probably already snowed under and are sick of studying).
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cannot decide whether or not you are being ironic.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post

"Would" is tricky,depending on the time intended. "I would have met him that day" instead of "I met him that day" and in the above sentence,possibly "I use both in speech".

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast