Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Markets "erode moral values"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Markets "erode moral values"

Economist's View: 'Markets Erode Moral Values'

Apparently some German scientists have proven this with some carefully-designed behavioural experiments. The comments in the link above also mention some more obvious points: you would probably never buy anything from the shop of a man you knew to be a child abuser. But you are probably wearing clothes stitched by an asian child slave.

Perhaps also related to the following phenomenon: What Is Diffusion of Responsibility
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Too right they do. Look what we in the West did and/or tacitly supported for oil.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    Too right they do. Look what we in the West did and/or tacitly supported for oil.
    At least we got oil.

Look at us now. We're ripping ourselves apart with non-productive austerity and getting precisely nothing in return. Essentially we're causing harm for the pure joy of it.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post

Apparently some German scientists have proven this with some carefully-designed behavioural experiments. The comments in the link above also mention some more obvious points: you would probably never buy anything from the shop of a man you knew to be a child abuser. But you are probably wearing clothes stitched by an asian child slave.

Perhaps also related to the following phenomenon: What Is Diffusion of Responsibility
    And what a fine job they do!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At least we got oil.

Look at us now. We're ripping ourselves apart with non-productive austerity and getting precisely nothing in return. Essentially we're causing harm for the pure joy of it.
    Well the markets are God to the EU apparently. Silly really when the EU has the power to print money. If only the Germans weren't calling the shots.

Ramps

Why is buying from a man who works shop any less of a "market"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Why is buying from a man who works shop any less of a "market"?
    I don't think "shop" and "market" are synonyms. I think that "market" implies a way to easily check against a competitor's prices before buying, like a bazaar where you can check a bunch of different stalls before taking the plunge. Not sure this is a hair worth splitting actually.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There was a prevalent cult in the middle of the last decade, called the "cult of the property market".

Followers could be seen admiring the price tags of houses in their own estates, and the listings in the Oyrich Toymes Propurrrty Supppppppelment, every weekend.

Whatever happen to that fad ?
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    There was a prevalent cult in the middle of the last decade, called the "cult of the property market".

Followers could be seen admiring the price tags of houses in their own estates, and the listings in the Oyrich Toymes Propurrrty Supppppppelment, every weekend.

Whatever happen to that fad ?
    What's the moral dimension of that? Did admiring the price tags of houses in their own estates make them more likely to be dishonest or steal?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast