Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: TCD website on landownership before and after Cromwell...

  1. #1

    Default TCD website on landownership before and after Cromwell...

    In keeping with some of the great threads on p.ie regarding National Army Records, the 1911 census, the 1901 census, the Griffith Land Valuations (1850s), the Tithe Applotment Books (1820s) and the 1641 Dpositions online, here's a link to a new website from TCD which helps us research the state of landownership in Ireland before and after Cromwell.

    The website is still a bit shaky, but I'm sure they're working on it.

    Homepage of The Down Survey Project

    Enjoy.
    Last edited by an Toimíneach; 13th May 2013 at 04:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Casualbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Interesting Stuff. Cheers AT

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Casualbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by an Toimíneach View Post
    In keeping with some of the great threads on p.ie regarding National Army Records, the 1911 census, the 1901 census, the Griffith Land Valuations (1850s), the Tithe Applotment Books (1820s) and the 1641 Dpositions online, here's a link to a new website from TCD which helps us research the state of landownership in Ireland before and after Cromwell.

    The website is still a bit shaky, but I'm sure they're working on it.

    http://phaedrus.cs.tcd.ie/petty/pett...urvey-maps.php

    Enjoy.
    PS Are the tithe books online?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualbets View Post
    PS Are the tithe books online?
    It's not the tidiest of websites. I've had to go fiddling around looking for different names and townlands because of spelling mishaps but it's a damn site better than traipsing into the National Library for blurry microfilm. Enjoy:

    The Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-37

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    10,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Homepage of The Down Survey Project is the official link which looks the same. Maybe its on a different server though.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    We want our land back!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Homepage of The Down Survey Project is the official link which looks the same. Maybe its on a different server though.
    Yeah, that's a much better link actually. Many thanks.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,409
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by an Toimíneach View Post
    In keeping with some of the great threads on p.ie regarding National Army Records, the 1911 census, the 1901 census, the Griffith Land Valuations (1850s), the Tithe Applotment Books (1820s) and the 1641 Dpositions online, here's a link to a new website from TCD which helps us research the state of landownership in Ireland before and after Cromwell.

    The website is still a bit shaky, but I'm sure they're working on it.

    http://phaedrus.cs.tcd.ie/petty/pett...urvey-maps.php

    Enjoy.
    Pretty awful website, pity they did not make sure everything was functioning correctly before launching. Interesting apart from that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    Pretty awful website, pity they did not make sure everything was functioning correctly before launching. Interesting apart from that.
    I've just edited the OP to replace the original link with the one from Orbit v2's post because it's much better. All credit to Orbit v2 for finding it and mea maxima culpa for having the wrong link first.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member fontenoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bothar gleann
    Posts
    2,411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Some great stuff in that, townlands in the Dundalk Borough are practically Identical. Some areas are designated as Protestant land and Priest land? Also part of Norn Iron seems to be latched onto us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •