Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Irish mental health system is a disgrace

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Irish mental health system is a disgrace

A member of my family has severe bipolar disorder. When he is in mania he is uncontrollable, impossible to deal with, becomes violent and erratic, starting crazy schemes to make billions, open to being ripped off by opportunistic scumbags, a danger to himself and to those around him. I have personally had him committed twice, to save him from being found dead somewhere, and he has been committed twice more. He becomes calm and rational for a while, usually descends into depression and suicidal ideation, then back on the same cycle. Sometimes he doesn't take his meds properly, other times he takes his meds exactly as prescribed but still ends up inside.

When he is in hospital, either the secure unit or else the local hospital unit if he is calm and mannerly, he and the other patients are left to do nothing all day. The secure unit is the worst. There is no structure provided to their days, there are no educational opportunities, no art therapy or musical therapy, no exercise facilities, nothing. They're just left there. The people who work there are fine, often nice people - but their job is basically that of a prison warder. If it's the secure unit then violent prisoners end up there, sometimes threatening him. He was locked in a toilet for four hours once - no-one noticed. He had one other sh1tting in his bed (not out of badness - they just did it). They're basically just left inside to rot all day, in an environment that feels like a Victorian prison. Out of sight, out of mind.

If there were any possible alternative I'd take it. Sometimes he is so out of control that I have no alternative but to have him committed, even though I am sickened by what I know he is going to end up living with for months. In other countries, people with mental health illnesses are put in environments geared towards improving their condition - thoughtful activities, a pleasant environment, opportunities to learn or to exercise. In Ireland it's as if the mental health treatment is designed to make them even worse. It is, I believe, an affront to human dignity, and possibly a breach of the European Convention on Human Rights.

None of this, to be clear, is a criticism of the individuals who work in these places, they and the doctors do their jobs as diligently as they can. But the system is barbaric, and should be a source of shame to Ireland. If someone got inside one of these units with a camera and filmed the day-to-day life of people in them, there'd be uproar, possibly internationally. There needs to be a complete overhaul of how Ireland treats the mentally ill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    A member of my family has severe bipolar disorder. When he is in mania he is uncontrollable, impossible to deal with, becomes violent and erratic, starting crazy schemes to make billions, open to being ripped off by opportunistic scumbags, a danger to himself and to those around him. I have personally had him committed twice, to save him from being found dead somewhere, and he has been committed twice more. He becomes calm and rational for a while, usually descends into depression and suicidal ideation, then back on the same cycle. Sometimes he doesn't take his meds properly, other times he takes his meds exactly as prescribed but still ends up inside.

When he is in hospital, either the secure unit or else the local hospital unit if he is calm and mannerly, he and the other patients are left to do nothing all day. The secure unit is the worst. There is no structure provided to their days, there are no educational opportunities, no art therapy or musical therapy, no exercise facilities, nothing. They're just left there. The people who work there are fine, often nice people - but their job is basically that of a prison warder. If it's the secure unit then violent prisoners end up there, sometimes threatening him. He was locked in a toilet for four hours once - no-one noticed. He had one other sh1tting in his bed (not out of badness - they just did it). They're basically just left inside to rot all day, in an environment that feels like a Victorian prison. Out of sight, out of mind.

If there were any possible alternative I'd take it. Sometimes he is so out of control that I have no alternative but to have him committed, even though I am sickened by what I know he is going to end up living with for months. In other countries, people with mental health illnesses are put in environments geared towards improving their condition - thoughtful activities, a pleasant environment, opportunities to learn or to exercise. In Ireland it's as if the mental health treatment is designed to make them even worse. It is, I believe, an affront to human dignity, and possibly a breach of the European Convention on Human Rights.

None of this, to be clear, is a criticism of the individuals who work in these places, they and the doctors do their jobs as diligently as they can. But the system is barbaric, and should be a source of shame to Ireland. If someone got inside one of these units with a camera and filmed the day-to-day life of people in them, there'd be uproar, possibly internationally. There needs to be a complete overhaul of how Ireland treats the mentally ill.
    It's one of the services that, sadly, when the country was awash with money received liuttle attention. Now that we're broke I can't see it improving.

The same could be said for other aspects of health service in general.

How long did it take the CF sufferers to get one special unit built at Vincent's?

All through the "Celtic Tiger" nothing was done.

Mental institutions appear to be the same the world over.

I have visited St Itas in Portrrane and it was a nightmare. Worked at a few places like it in the UK More nightmares.

More than one flew over the cuckoos nest.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The purpose of the mental health system in this country is to hide the mess being created by the country's substance abuse problem - which in itself is a reaction to a societal model of authority that unaccountable and dysfunctional.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    It's one of the services that, sadly, when the country was awash with money received liuttle attention. Now that we're broke I can't see it improving.

The same could be said for other aspects of health service in general.

How long did it take the CF sufferers to get one special unit built at Vincent's?

All through the "Celtic Tiger" nothing was done.
    I know I shouldn't, but I find it mildly amusing that the first poster to respond to an OP which mentions bi-polar disorder, is someone who has/had two accounts.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Mental institutions appear to be the same the world over.

I have visited St Itas in Portrrane and it was a nightmare. Worked at a few places like it in the UK More nightmares.

More than one flew over the cuckoos nest.
    They're not. Even in America, which since Reagan has been a disgrace in leaving the mentally ill to die homeless, when you do get treated you are treated much better - activities, therapy, exercise. I know this because my wife is American and she has a bipolar uncle - he gets treated for free. Several European countries treat mentally ill people properly also, and, for all its faults, even the NHS has a better record nowadays (certainly than it used to).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Miriam O'Callaghan did an excellent piece on Prime Time regarding this a good few years ago when FF were on the way out.
    It is an absolute disgrace that for all the money spent on stupid and ridiculous schemes during the boom that the most vulnerable in our society have been ignored and pushed to the back corners of society.

The Bertie Bowl plan cost the Irish taxpayer half a Billion euro.
    Spending on mental health has dropped from 13% of the overall health budget in 1986 to 6.4% in 2009 and 5.3% in 2010. (mentalhealthreform.ie)

Little has changed in our, and more importantly, politicians attitudes towards the most vulnerable in our society since the foundation of the State. (Apart from a few good politicians and ordinary people fighting to improve services).
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mental health is the poor relation in many countries. Its not visible or trendy like a cure for all cancers or AIDS. Often there is no cure there is just the plodding certainty that the drugs will overtime have less effect or be forgotten or the next cycle of mania will be more powerful than the drugs.

I can't see it changing anytime soon but I can see some taking advantage of the sufferers or their friends. Its the smug, unthinking way of it.
    Its Up to ME

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    They're not. Even in America, which since Reagan has been a disgrace in leaving the mentally ill to die homeless, when you do get treated you are treated much better - activities, therapy, exercise. I know this because my wife is American and she has a bipolar uncle - he gets treated for free. Several European countries treat mentally ill people properly also, and, for all its faults, even the NHS has a better record nowadays (certainly than it used to).
    Oh yes they are.

A few good places do not make up for the thousands of hell holes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I know I shouldn't
    But why let that stop you

but I find it mildly amusing that the first poster to respond to an OP which mentions bi-polar disorder, is someone who has/had two accounts.
    I find it amusing that someone with no interest in the topic posts some shyte anyway just to get a "like" from the clique

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast