Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epigenetics- An exciting development in Science

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Epigenetics- An exciting development in Science

Epigenetics refers to "heritable changes in gene function that occur without a change in the nucleotide sequence''1 (ie no change in the code of a person's DNA). It basically refers to chemical signals or switches that dampen down or increase expressivity of certain genes, leading to a change in phenotype (physical expression). It is becoming clear that environmental factors (ie what we eat and what we are exposed to) can silence or heighten these gene expressions and therefore could predispose some people to developing certain diseases.

Now this may seem boring and you're probably saying ''So what?'', but recent studies have shown that this epigenetic change in individuals can be passed down generations.

A study in Sweden has shown that if you are a male and your paternal grandfather (your father's father) lived through a famine period during his Slow Growth Period (before puberty- around 9-12 for boys) you are more likely to live longer than those who had plentiful supplies of food during this period, protecting the grandson from cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.

If the paternal grandfather had a plentiful supply of food during this period, the grandson has a 4 fold greater chance of dying of diabetes mellitus.

It is becoming clear that we are what we eat, but in some instances, we are what our grandparents ate.

1 Bird A : Perceptions of epigenetics. Nature 2007

Cardiovascular and diabetes mortality determined by nutrition during parents' and grandparents' slow growth period

See the ''Ghost in our genes'' programme for more information
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    Epigenetics refers to "heritable changes in gene function that occur without a change in the nucleotide sequence''1 (ie no change in the code of a person's DNA). It basically refers to chemical signals or switches that dampen down or increase expressivity of certain genes, leading to a change in phenotype (physical expression). It is becoming clear that environmental factors (ie what we eat and what we are exposed to) can silence or heighten these gene expressions and therefore could predispose some people to developing certain diseases.

Now this may seem boring and you're probably saying ''So what?'', but recent studies have shown that this epigenetic change in individuals can be passed down generations.

A study in Sweden has shown that if you are a male and your paternal grandfather (your father's father) lived through a famine period during his Slow Growth Period (before puberty- around 9-12 for boys) you are more likely to live longer than those who had plentiful supplies of food during this period, protecting the grandson from cardiovascular diseases and diabetes.

If the paternal grandfather had a plentiful supply of food during this period, the grandson has a 4 fold greater chance of dying of diabetes mellitus.

It is becoming clear that we are what we eat, but in some instances, we are what our grandparents ate.

Cardiovascular and diabetes mortality determined by nutrition during parents' and grandparents' slow growth period

Epigenetics has been around for a while.

Have written various software over the last few years for mathematically modelling it. Have just written and sent off a program for using a massive CUBA based system for modelling a particular sequence. Think I will skip working for that bunch again. They are really annoying to work for and just not worth the hassle.

It is a growing area. Plenty of start up money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Epigenetics has been around for a while.

Have written various software over the last few years for mathematically modelling it. Have just written and sent off a program for using a massive CUBA based system for modelling a particular sequence. Think I will skip working for that bunch again. They are really annoying to work for and just not worth the hassle.

It is a growing area. Plenty of start up money.
    Relatively speaking, it's fairly recent.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Relatively speaking, it's fairly recent.
    Not for me.

The way programming moves these days, anything more than six months old is middle aged. It is moving faster than integrated circuit design.

In all areas of Genetics, the pace of change is very rapid. I used to subscribe to Nature Genetics, but it reached the point, I was just getting lost.

When I get back home I will be taking out a new subscription to Nature. Might renew my subscriptions to Nature Genetics and Nature Materials. I want to get a sample of Nature photonics before I make up my mind. Have to wait until I get home before I decide what to do.

PS: Check out this article.
    http://www.nature.com/news/neuropros...eeling-1.12938
    That is what I love to read about, then go see a Star Trek film

Also articles such as this http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture12082.html remind me of when I was young and read Clarke, Azimov, Dick, etc. I can actually see how parts of what was science fiction could fucntion with a massive ram scoop in articles like that.

I suppose I never really grew up and am curious about everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    Not for me.

The way programming moves these days, anything more than six months old is middle aged. It is moving faster than integrated circuit design.

In all areas of Genetics, the pace of change is very rapid. I used to subscribe to Nature Genetics, but it reached the point, I was just getting lost.

When I get back home I will be taking out a new subscription to Nature. Might renew my subscriptions to Nature Genetics and Nature Materials. I want to get a sample of Nature photonics before I make up my mind. Have to wait until I get home before I decide what to do.
    Do you know of any websites or companies that will map your genes for you, specifically the Y chromosome, for genealogy? Was thinking of doing it but don't want to be spending a lot of money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you know of any websites or companies that will map your genes for you, specifically the Y chromosome, for genealogy? Was thinking of doing it but don't want to be spending a lot of money.

Off the top of my head no. They tend to be companies well away from R&D.

From google.

Search for Autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mtDNA - DNA Ancestry Project
    Family Tree DNA - Genetic Genealogy Starts Here
    DNA Test for Ancestry from National Geographic | Genographic Project
    Genetic genealogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However please get them checked out as I have no idea about these companies.

If you go into a newsagent. Pick up any archeology or history magazine and flick through the advertisements at the back. If you see any geneology magazine, there should be advertisements for genetic testing in that. They usually carry advertisements for companies engaging in that area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or as someone once said to me, 'we are what we eat, ate."
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Depends on what your looking for. If your looking for it in relation to your own health, there are companies which will give you a basic idea of your suseptibility to certain conditions for a couple of hundred euros. If it's just in relation to geneology then it is more expensive. It is much more affordable these days though, due to the fact that the basic equipment can now be purchased for a few grand, and genetic databases are more accessable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by googolplex View Post
    Depends on what your looking for. If your looking for it in relation to your own health, there are companies which will give you a basic idea of your suseptibility to certain conditions for a couple of hundred euros. If it's just in relation to geneology then it is more expensive. It is much more affordable these days though, due to the fact that the basic equipment can now be purchased for a few grand, and genetic databases are more accessable.
    Have you ever done it in relation to genealogy, or do you know anyone else that has done it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a definte zinger, James!

Only trouble is, in my case it suggests that I'm largely composed of pigs' feet and porter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast