Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 320

Thread: National Famine commemoration day

  1. #1
    SeamusNapoleon
    Guest

    Default National Famine commemoration day

    It seems today is the national 'Famine' commemoration day/lá cuimhneacháin náisiúnta an Ghorta Mhóir.*

    The causes and events of the great hunger were given a recent re-evaluation in a damning book by Tim Pat Coogan which aimed to cut through the alleged fog of apologias created by historians of recent decades. The area around Kilrush in county Clare has hosted several events in the past week.

    National Famine Commemoration - Kilrush 2013 | faminecommemoration2013.ie
    National Famine Commemoration Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Today alone, for example:

    Sunday 5th May

    Mass at St. Senan’s Church, Kilrush followed by walk to Shanakyle Graveyard for prayer service, wreath laying and minutes silence and performance of “Lone Shanakyle” by Assumpta Kennedy
    Time: 12 noon Venue: Market Square, Kilrush


    Great Famine Walk from Kilrush to Cooraclare, by West Clare Kidney Support Group seperate Runner's event commencing same location at 3pm. Remembrance wreath - laid by the Kilrush Town Mayor. Famine commemoration medals will be presented to the first 300 finishers. The distance is approximately 8 km. Refreshments will be served at Tubridy's in Cooraclare from 3.45pm with music and dance.
    Time: 2.30p.m. Venue: Old Workhouse, Cooraclare Road, Kilrush (Adult Education Centre)


    Famine Commemoration Event - Clare Roots Society - this ceremony will take place after a short Liturgy of Prayer at the sitge of nameless burials of more than 2000 victims of famine and fever.
    Time: 3:00p.m. Venue: Old Drumcliffe Cemetery, Ennis.


    Famine Commemoration event
    Time: 3:00p.m. Venue: Pier Head, Killaloe, Co. Clare


    Performance of ‘We Were Never Beggars’, a one-act play written by Brian Comerford.
    Time: 7:00p.m. Venue: Teach Ceoil, Kilrush


    Screening of two films set in Irish workhouses. The films are not suitable for under eighteen year olds.
    Time: 8:00p.m. Venue: Venue: Cultúrlann Sweeney, Kilkee


    A Room in Air was filmed in the auxiliary workhouse in Ballyvaughan in 2012 and directed by Frank Golden. This short film attempts to explore, in a symbolic manner, the way in which the Famine proved to be a psychic and emotional fault line for Ireland and its people. Running time: 22 minutes.

    Poorhouse was filmed in the workhouse at Bawnboy in 1995, and aired on RTE in 1996. Based on a short story by Michael Harding and directed by Frank Stapleton, Poorhouse follows the course of an old man’s relationship with a young woman, Anna Magee, who is brought to the workhouse when she is taken ill with fever. It stars Birdy Sweeney and Dearbhla Crotty. Running time: 30 minutes.
    As far as I am aware, the great hunger of the 1840s remains the most disastrous such crisis in terms of deaths relative to population in the world.


    *terminology remains in dispute

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post

    It seems today is the national 'Famine' commemoration day/lá cuimhneacháin náisiúnta an Ghorta Mhóir.*

    As far as I am aware, the great hunger of the 1840s remains the most disastrous such crisis in terms of deaths relative to population in the world.

    What do you mean "it seems"? Either it is or it isn't.

    And please see here if you wish to play famine poker.

    I'll see your Irish famine and raise you the East Prussian famine of 1708-11 for starters. Then we can discuss the Great Famines of Finland, Ethiopia or Tunisia as you prefer.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Seamus, you should know by now that any mention of any Irish suffering at the hands of anyone will be mocked by FG and now even FF supporters (newgolddream/liar). I get the rather easy to understand point you made about deaths 'relative to population'. I appreciate the fairness of your post and also your other simple point that your terminology remains in dispute.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Wait until a quango is formed for the issue.

    In fact that is the probelm with any of these major historical events.

    A quango is formed and it destroys everything.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  5. #5
    SeamusNapoleon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    What do you mean "it seems"? Either it is or it isn't.

    And please see here if you wish to play famine poker.

    I'll see your Irish famine and raise you the East Prussian famine of 1708-11 for starters. Then we can discuss the Great Famines of Finland, Ethiopia or Tunisia as you prefer.
    I think you need to calm down; nobody is out to get you here, and this thread was not started as a way to 'get at' the poster, Mushroom. I wrote 'it seems' because a friend in west Clare had text me about this commemoration and I also saw the link on wikipedia today. It was simply a way of introducing it - I repeat, the thread was not started as a way to 'get at' the poster, Mushroom.

    I wrote that, as far as I knew, the great hunger was the most disastrous such crisis proportionate to population. That was not an emphatic statement, quite the opposite, and I am open to correction. Perhaps the east Prussian famine was more disastrous. I do not know how that could be confirmed; the great hunger could be measured in part because of a census several years before the disaster. Also, east Prussia had land borders whereas Ireland is an island, thus making it somewhat easier to determine the effects and limits of the crisis here.

    I do not know what a 'lifty perch' is, but it seems you edited your post to remove that line.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Valera View Post
    First thing people should do before they post is look at the definition of Famine.

    Famine means lack of FOOD.

    There was plenty of food in Ireland... so much that the English used the Army and Navy to take it away from the Irish to England.

    So the English starved the Irish... that makes it genocide.

    The Irish starved the Irish too. Any chance that you could pull a fancy word out of your back passage to describe that one?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member johnny365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    14,355
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Will John Bruton be giving a speech about how the famine was needed as the Irish had over feed themselves in years previously and they little people needed to know their place?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Mushroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Provence.
    Posts
    15,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeamusNapoleon View Post
    I think you need to calm down; nobody is out to get you here, and this thread was not started as a way to 'get at' the poster, Mushroom. I wrote 'it seems' because a friend in west Clare had text me about this commemoration and I also saw the link on wikipedia today. It was simply a way of introducing it - I repeat, the thread was not started as a way to 'get at' the poster, Mushroom.

    I wrote that, as far as I knew, the great hunger was the most disastrous such crisis proportionate to population. That was not an emphatic statement, quite the opposite, and I am open to correction. Perhaps the east Prussian famine was more disastrous. I do not know how that could be confirmed; the great hunger could be measured in part because of a census several years before the disaster. Also, east Prussia had land borders whereas Ireland is an island, thus making it somewhat easier to determine the effects and limits of the crisis here.

    I do not know what a 'lifty perch' is, but it seems you edited your post to remove that line.
    I'm happy to acknowledge that your use of the phrase "as far as I know" led me to believe that you had researched the matter to some extent. I now accept that I was incorrect in that assumption.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The Famine occurred in the period when the gombeen element in Irish society was beginning to make itself evident. They served the Imperial masters, and starved their neighbours, putting an emphasis on the veneer.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    55,716
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    We still export food while people are living on cornflakes. What's changed?

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •