Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: American drone breaks endurance record by flying 48 hours without refueling

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default American drone breaks endurance record by flying 48 hours without refueling

A drone developed by the U.S navy has broken previous endurance records by flying 48 hours without refueling. The 'Ion Tiger' uses a new type of cryogenic tank to store liquid hydrogen fuel to achieve this breakthrough. The drone also uses electric engines rather than combustion engines. The Naval Research Laboratory says their approach has additional logistic benefits, since liquid hydrogen can be produced from water on site rather than having to transport solid fuels in bulk.

US Navy?s liquid hydrogen drone flies for record 48 hours ? RT USA

What are the implications of this for civilian transport? More importantly how does this affect the continued expansion of drone warfare?

Personally I doubt that this technology will be used for civilian transport for a good few years due to production of hydrogen fuel on a mass scale is still under research however breakthroughs have been recently made in this area too as Virginia Tech have found a way to extract large quantities from any plant.

Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

Militarily it's a massive breakthrough for recon drones and no doubt they're already looking at how to transfer this technology to larger weaponized drones such as the Predator. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the matter of drones and their applications I'm more than open to correction and education though!
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior of Destiny View Post
    A drone developed by the U.S navy has broken previous endurance records by flying 48 hours without refueling. The 'Ion Tiger' uses a new type of cryogenic tank to store liquid hydrogen fuel to achieve this breakthrough. The drone also uses electric engines rather than combustion engines. The Naval Research Laboratory says their approach has additional logistic benefits, since liquid hydrogen can be produced from water on site rather than having to transport solid fuels in bulk.

US Navy?s liquid hydrogen drone flies for record 48 hours ? RT USA

What are the implications of this for civilian transport? More importantly how does this affect the continued expansion of drone warfare?

Personally I doubt that this technology will be used for civilian transport for a good few years due to production of hydrogen fuel on a mass scale is still under research however breakthroughs have been recently made in this area too as Virginia Tech have found a way to extract large quantities from any plant.

Breakthrough in hydrogen fuel production could revolutionize alternative energy market

Militarily it's a massive breakthrough for recon drones and no doubt they're already looking at how to transfer this technology to larger weaponized drones such as the Predator. Not being particularly knowledgeable on the matter of drones and their applications I'm more than open to correction and education though!
    Aerodynamically that drone is a piece of crap.

If they put it in a Nurflugel (flying wing), then there should be a corresponding increase in performance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Drones certainly appear to be the future of defense and intelligence operations.
    One of my friends is ex-USN, and continues to work on a consultancy basis at
    The Naval Surface Warfare Center. He has told me that their mission used to be almost exclusively about mines, but that in more recent years, unmanned submarines and aerial vehicles have become a top priority.

The thing that scares them about the drones is that they can be programmed to do just about anything autonomously. They are cheap; an F-18 costs $60m, a Typhoon costs twice that. A drone capable of carrying a dirty bomb costs much less. They worry about a mass produced swarm of thousands of the things attacking a carrier group.

I thought that he was exaggerating the capabilities of the things, until he sent me this video of how they can be programmed to do just about anything, without further input required from their controller.

We are headed into a new era of warfare with these things.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior of Destiny View Post
    What are the implications of this for civilian transport?
    None for a long time, a drone is one thing, a 747 is quite another.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yet again The Simpsons have called it....

The Commandant of the military academy: "The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots. "

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    Drones certainly appear to be the future of defense and intelligence operations.
    One of my friends is ex-USN, and continues to work on a consultancy basis at
    The Naval Surface Warfare Center. He has told me that their mission used to be almost exclusively about mines, but that in more recent years, unmanned submarines and aerial vehicles have become a top priority.

The thing that scares them about the drones is that they can be programmed to do just about anything autonomously. They are cheap; an F-18 costs $60m, a Typhoon costs twice that. A drone capable of carrying a dirty bomb costs much less. They worry about a mass produced swarm of thousands of the things attacking a carrier group.

I thought that he was exaggerating the capabilities of the things, until he sent me this video of how they can be programmed to do just about anything, without further input required from their controller.

We are headed into a new era of warfare with these things.
    Scary shlt, & it's not just warfare:

http://www.politics.ie/forum/us-poli...us-itself.html
    Humanity's objective/purpose - the complete & total weaponization of the natural world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    None for a long time, a drone is one thing, a 747 is quite another.
    Its on the cards

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pretty much the most disgusting article I've read this, & possibly any, year:

The race to create 'insect cyborgs' | Science | The Observer

Perhaps, Darpa officials realised, the military didn't need to start from scratch; if they began with live insects, they'd already be halfway to their dream flying machines. All they'd have to do was figure out how to hack into insects' bodies and control their movements.
    Insect drones kitted out with video cameras could reveal whether a building is occupied and whether those inside are civilians or enemy combatants, while those with microphones could record sensitive conversations, becoming bugs that literally bugged you.
    As soon as Maharbiz presented his work, the news stories came fast and furious, Wired pronounced: "The creation of a cyborg insect army has just taken a step closer to reality" and the Daily Mail panicked: "Spies may soon be bugging conversations using actual insects, thanks to research funded by the US military". A columnist speculated about the possibility of a swarm of locust drones being used as vehicles for launching deadly germs.
    They began by opening up a rat's skull and implanting steel wires in its brain. The wires ran from the brain out through a large hole in the skull, and into a backpack harnessed to the rodent. ("Backpack" seems to be a favourite euphemism among the cyborg-animal crowd.) This rat pack, as it were, contained a suite of electronics, including a microprocessor and a receiver capable of picking up distant signals. Chapin or one of his colleagues could sit 500m away from the rat and use a laptop to transmit a message to the receiver, which relayed the signal to the microprocessor, which sent an electric charge down the wires and into the rat's brain.

During training, the SUNY scientists used an unconventional system of reinforcement. When the rat turned in the correct direction, the researchers used a third wire to send an electrical pulse into what's known as the medial forebrain bundle (MFB), a region of the brain involved in processing pleasure. Studies in humans and other animals have shown that direct activation of the MFB just plain feels good. (When the scientists gave the rats the chance to stimulate their own MFBs by pressing down on a lever, the animals did so furiously – hitting the lever as many as 200 times in 20 minutes.) So sending a jolt of electricity zinging down to a rat's MFB acted as a virtual reward for good behaviour.
    The Matrix just moved an awful lot closer.
    Humanity's objective/purpose - the complete & total weaponization of the natural world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greenwithirony View Post
    The Matrix just moved an awful lot closer.
    How do you know you are not already living in a matrix?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't wait to tell the Pakistani children about this delightful news,

This thread makes me sick;

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast