Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England: Time to break the Church-Monarchy link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default England: Time to break the Church-Monarchy link?

If you were to ask a representative group of Irish people if they thought the Roman Catholic Church should occupy some elevated and constitutionally mandated position in Irish society, I doubt that the affirmative answers would exceed 10%. Yet, by contrast in the UK, nearly 75% of people think that Queen Elizabeth II, the head of state should continue in her other role as head of the Church of England.

Despite her age, Queen Elizabeth is still very sprightly and clearly has many years left in her. She takes her role and vows very seriously and has no attention resigning. She's in this for life.

And yet, there's a subtle transition under way. Prince Charles, her successor, will be attending the Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka in her stead. This is where it gets interesting. Charles is an eclectic chap with a wide range of spiritual interests and a distinct leaning towards Buddhism. Even leaving aside the anomalous situation of a modern European country where the head of state is also a religious leader, won't this be a little odd?

Perhaps it's time to break the link for once and for all and let the monarch be head of state only?

Queen Elizabeth II Should Remain Head Of Church Of England, According To Poll
    Britain
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post

Perhaps it's time to break the link for once and for all and let the monarch be head of state only?

Britain
    I agree, but feel there is actually a more compelling and immediate case to be made for the removal of the role of the Prime Minister in the process.

Appointment of Church of England bishops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect those who care enough to form a strong opinion will be religious conservatives who want the church-monarchy link to remain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    I agree, but feel there is actually a more compelling and immediate case to be made for the removal of the role of the Prime Minister in the process.

Appointment of Church of England bishops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The PM can appoint bishops??

Bloody hell.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The PM can appoint bishops??

Bloody hell.....
    Bishops in an irrelevant and outdated state institution.
    Far worse if a justice minister can appoint Garda commissioners IMO.
    Both should be appointed by independent BOMs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you were to ask a representative group of Irish people if they thought the Roman Catholic Church should occupy some elevated and constitutionally mandated position in Irish society, I doubt that the affirmative answers would exceed 10%. Yet, by contrast in the UK, nearly 75% of people think that Queen Elizabeth II, the head of state should continue in her other role as head of the Church of England.

Despite her age, Queen Elizabeth is still very sprightly and clearly has many years left in her. She takes her role and vows very seriously and has no attention resigning. She's in this for life.

And yet, there's a subtle transition under way. Prince Charles, her successor, will be attending the Commonwealth summit in Sri Lanka in her stead. This is where it gets interesting. Charles is an eclectic chap with a wide range of spiritual interests and a distinct leaning towards Buddhism. Even leaving aside the anomalous situation of a modern European country where the head of state is also a religious leader, won't this be a little odd?

Britain
    It is ripe for change as the Anglican church is a a bit of a joke in England and Wales; ineffective, wooly-thinking inadequates and ministers who don't believe in God...
    I am far from sure that the change will do any good at this stage, but it is worth a try.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You're starting this off the back of (yet another) poll that says roughly 3/4 Englishers (Not just COEers) want her to remain?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

simeongrimes

If 75% of people want to keep the link then who is going to remove it. I think secularists make a mistake in their understanding of democracy. We had a catholic country when we had a committed catholic majority. When people became secular that was reflected in our laws eventually. If a future Ireland was to have a Muslim majority we would see aspects of that belief system turning up in our laws. There is no over-riding correct model that should be imposed against the wishes of the majority.

Of course minorities have rights too. But in the end they have the rights the majority are prepared to give them. An intelligent majority will give them more but a majority is still a majority.

If the British people became republicans the monarchy would be doomed. But they are far from that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If we had a ban on Protestant Presidents down here imagine what the Unionists would say. The royals are not even allowed marry a Catholic.
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    You're starting this off the back of (yet another) poll that says roughly 3/4 Englishers (Not just COEers) want her to remain?
    That is one poll - it's hardly a definitive answer.

I believe in complete separation of church and state. They tend to be mutually harmful in the long run. It is already being discussed in the upper echelons of power in the UK.

Queen's role as head of Church of England 'may no longer be appropriate' - Telegraph

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast