Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Birmingham Pub Bombings

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Birmingham Pub Bombings

I can smell bacon cooking. I didn’t know it then but that was the smell of burnt hair, bodies and dying people. I was about ten foot away from the bomb as it went off, and in the smoke and dust filled darkness, although I can’t hear them, there are dead and dying people all around me. Later the body count is to total eleven, the injured in there number 100 per cent.
    Birmingham pub bombings: 38 years on - Birmingham Mail

Sitting alone at first light in a deserted New Street, it was difficult to imagine the traumatic scenes witnessed just a few hours before. I reflected on the fact that so many peoples lives had suddenly changed forever.
    birmingham pub bombings

My first impression when I arrived in the Bull Ring was like the Blitz all over again, broken plate glass windows littered the surrounding streets, people were running all over the place, I must have got there within minutes of the explosions.
    Photographer remembers Birmingham pub bombings: "It was like the Blitz" - Birmingham Mail

'It is appalling that in a civilised country the mass murder of 21 innocent people has not been investigated and those who committed the atrocity have been allowed to go free.
    Read more: Cold case cops probe Birmingham pub bombings that killed 21 revellers nearly 40 years ago | Mail Online

Since 74 much of the attention has been on the miscarriage of justice (something i am sure will get a mention or two) the victims, survivors and families rarely get a second thought. Some of them want to change that ...
    A woman whose sister died in an IRA bomb in Birmingham has appealed to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness to help find out who was responsible.
    “If Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness can assist us in ascertaining any truth towards us getting justice for Maxine it would be most gratefully received,”
    Family appeals to McGuinness and Adams over IRA bomb in Birmingham - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

I am not sure the two gentlemen will be of much assistance in the families quest for answers, after all truth reconciliation and justice are a one way street...

A bereaved sister's campaign to get the Birmingham pub bombings re-investigated has been backed by Northern Ireland's First Minister, Peter Robinson.
    BBC News - Birmingham pub bombs inquiry backed
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Build it and they will come...run along child
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member Davy Broderick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chris Mullins MP knows who the bombers are, as I'm sure do the Guards, and Adams and McGuinness. It is in his book Error of Judgment, published sometime in the 80s. He got permission from the RA to talk to one of the bombers, who was then living in Dublin.

Another possible bomber or planner of the bombing was a guy called Mick Murphy (I think, don't have the book in front of me). He was prominent in RA circles in Birmingham and he got a sentence for possession of explosives. He is long out now.

Great book, very sad. Many of the victims were second-generation Irish.
    "Shufflin' round Atlanta in their alligator shoes ..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Birmingham pub bombings: 38 years on - Birmingham Mail

birmingham pub bombings

Photographer remembers Birmingham pub bombings: "It was like the Blitz" - Birmingham Mail

Read more: Cold case cops probe Birmingham pub bombings that killed 21 revellers nearly 40 years ago | Mail Online

Since 74 much of the attention has been on the miscarriage of justice (something i am sure will get a mention or two) the victims, survivors and families rarely get a second thought. Some of them want to change that ...
    Family appeals to McGuinness and Adams over IRA bomb in Birmingham - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

I am not sure the two gentlemen will be of much assistance in the families quest for answers, after all truth reconciliation and justice are a one way street...

BBC News - Birmingham pub bombs inquiry backed
    The IRA carried out the Birmingham pub-bombings and said so at the time. They also repeatedly stated that the six men framed for the bombings were not their members but even so, it took the so-called British justice system 17 years to release them.

I don't ever recall Peter Robinson calling for justice for the Brimingham Six.
    The Empire's Over - Why Don't You Go Home?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“"Among the many disturbing features of that Lancaster trial is the role played by a Thomas Watt, an admitted police informer and a member of the National Front.
    Mr. Watt was a significant prosecution witness, giving damning evidence against two of his former workmates, Mr. Walker and Richard McIlkenny; he was also the man who gave shelter in Birmingham to Kenneth Littlejohn, who at that time had made his way out of Dublin’s Mountjoy prison, and was by an astounding coincidence, in Birmingham the night of the bombings.”

CAIN: Events: Birmingham Six: Fr. Denis Faul and Fr. Raymond Murray. (1976) The Birmingham Framework: Six innocent men framed for the Birmingham Bombings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Broderick View Post
    Chris Mullins MP knows who the bombers are, as I'm sure do the Guards, and Adams and McGuinness. It is in his book Error of Judgment, published sometime in the 80s. He got permission from the RA to talk to one of the bombers, who was then living in Dublin.

Another possible bomber or planner of the bombing was a guy called Mick Murphy (I think, don't have the book in front of me). He was prominent in RA circles in Birmingham and he got a sentence for possession of explosives. He is long out now.

Great book, very sad. Many of the victims were second-generation Irish.
    Those presumed responsible were named many moons ago in a TV documentary based on Mullin's research.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DimplesBro View Post
    Britain and it's loyalists deserve what they get when they throw their weight around in other peoples countries.
    If this is an attempt to justify the Birmingham pub-bombings it is pretty lame.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by picador View Post
    The IRA carried out the Birmingham pub-bombings and said so at the time. They also repeatedly stated that the six men framed for the bombings were not their members but even so, it took the so-called British justice system 17 years to release them.

I don't ever recall Peter Robinson calling for justice for the Brimingham Six.
    A FORMER IRA bomber has told one of the survivors that the Birmingham Pub Bombings were “a mistake” that would never be publicly admitted by the IRA.Birmingham Pub Bombings were a 'mistake' IRA bomber tells survivor - Birmingham Mail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Brum pub bombings were completely unjustified. But then that's not exactly the response Walter Bridgey was hoping for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    A FORMER IRA bomber has told one of the survivors that the Birmingham Pub Bombings were “a mistake” that would never be publicly admitted by the IRA.Birmingham Pub Bombings were a 'mistake' IRA bomber tells survivor - Birmingham Mail
    I stand corrected. The IRA initially denied involvement but subsequently admitted responsibility and said the Brimingham Six were NOT their members. Even so, the so-called British justice system delayed 17 years before releasing the six. Of course the Brits were well aware they got the wrong men and had a very good idea of whom the real culprits were. Indeed at least one of them actually stood in the same dock as the Brimingham Six.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast