Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: How much worse can the economy get?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How much worse can the economy get?

There appear to be two prevailing views on the Irish economy:
    1) we're over the worse/turned a corner/seen green shoots;
    2) we've reached the limits of "austerity".

Where are we?
    Small growth
    Employment rising marginally (unemployment stabilizing)
    A 7.6% deficit after 5 years of "austere" budgets
    A debt to GDP ratio heading towards 120%
    A public sector responding to a unilateral breaking of the croke park 2010-14 agreement.
    Much of the McCarthy report has not been implemented

What are the dangers?
    The graduates/skilled labour who emigrate don't come back
    A war impacts on global trade
    A protracted public sector strike
    Cuts to headline social welfare rates affect sme's, poverty levels and social strife
    Personal insolvency leads to default on mortgages and the "people have a right to live in their own homes" argument prevails and an "unnaturally low" repossession rate keeps property prices artificially high fooling some into thinking that the busy has bottomed out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As I said on another thread a while back, I remember growing up, my father moaning about the recession of the 80's and how they had nothing and it was terrible and now I hear him and his ilk spouting that this recession is worse. I'm like b*tch please.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apart from the business side of it, I fear the social decline overall. The fallout of been poor now and forever for some is going to take it's toll and it will need an outlet. What that outlet will be worries me. Government are not great on social things so the festering will only escalate.

Ten years ago people in the town near me left their dors ajar and many had keys in the door for regular callers. last week there were six robberies. Four were on the same day. Local people are very worried and since the closure of the Garda station it's worse. mark my words it is only a matter of time till someone gets hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    As I said on another thread a while back, I remember growing up, my father moaning about the recession of the 80's and how they had nothing and it was terrible and now I hear him and his ilk spouting that this recession is worse. I'm like b*tch please.
    That is a terrible way to talk to your father rus.......With 2 more ************************ty budgets at least to go i think its safe to say, that things wont get better for a number of years. Austerity isnt working .Some people are blue in the face sayin it.....Sure lets carry on anyhow.
    IRELAND FIRST

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    This is worse. No one had money in the 80's and few had access to credit, so most people didn't over leverage themselves on debt. The debt levels are frightening. This recession is affecting all sections of society including those who were beyond the scope of previous recessions eg judges. As ever, there are gombeen men on the make or professionals making money from misery or State work (eg Nama).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Strange thread title. By all yardsticks, apart from levels of employment, the economy has stabilised radically since 2011. So asking if it can get any "worse" suggests that it has been going downhill of late, which it simply hasn't.

Some facts in response to your points:

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Where are we?
    Small growth - SMALL, BUT GROWING, AND FAR MORE THAN THE REST OF EUROPE
    A 7.6% deficit after 5 years of "austere" budgets - 1% AHEAD OF TARGET. TUMBLING TO 4.6% in 2014 AND UNDER 3% IN 2015
    A debt to GDP ratio heading towards 120% - AND DECLINING SHARPLY FROM 2014 ONWARDS, PARTICULARLY AFTER ANY BANKING DEBT DEAL
    Much of the McCarthy report has not been implemented - SO WHAT?

Politics.ie Member southwestkerry's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Truth be told it's impossible to tell. As long as the US and Japan keep the printing presses going the rest of us will hang in... O yes and providing China don't sense the second coming of Christ.
    Swk
    A ship at harbour is safe but that is not what ships were built for.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    This is worse. No one had money in the 80's and few had access to credit, so most people didn't over leverage themselves on debt. The debt levels are frightening. This recession is affecting all sections of society including those who were beyond the scope of previous recessions eg judges. As ever, there are gombeen men on the make or professionals making money from misery or State work (eg Nama).
    No. In the 80's unemployment rose to 17%. Tax rates were at 60%.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've only seen the ads so far, the trailers haven't even started yet, never mind the movie,

"popcorn"

Page 1 of 62 123451151 ... LastLast