Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 101

Thread: Let's not be the greedy generation

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Let's not be the greedy generation

    I've just been reading a depressing article in yesterday's Irish Times about youth unemployment in Greece. Now, things are particularly bad in that afflicted land but the same theme emerges in almost every country in the developed world: youth unemployment tends to be several multiples of the national rate. Huge numbers of young people, even highly educated ones, just aren't able to get jobs. The level of joblessness amongst the under-25s is rising sharply and will continue rising for the next five years.

    Five years.

    Meanwhile, at the other end of the generational demographic, we're talking about the so-called pensions timebomb. We used to retire at 65, now we're being told we'll need to work well into our seventies, perhaps longer.

    Hello? Does no-one see the disconnect here? Why should older people hold onto jobs well into their twilight years while a person in their twenties remains on the dole? No-one wins. Yes, I know the argument that we're all living longer and will need those extra contributions to keep ourselves in the style to which we have become accustomed. Well, I don't want that if it means writing off an entire generation and consigning them to a life of unemployment.

    It's the same sort of attitude that sees civil servants agreeing to embargos on recruitment rather than wage cuts so young prospective job hunters are shut out. It's the same avarice that sees retired teachers returning to work in schools while they draw their generous pension thereby hogging a job a newly qualified teacher desperately needs. Let's not be the greedy generation. Any country in which more and more young people are deprived of the self-esteem of a job and career prospects will not be a pleasant to live in - regardless of how overflowing our own very personal pension pots are.

    International youth unemployment to continue rising until 2018 - The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    14,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That horse bolted a long time ago.

    Welcome to your neoliberal future.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    That horse bolted a long time ago.

    Welcome to your neoliberal future.
    We have a choice. We can choose when to retire.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  4. #4

    Default

    I remember ages back there was some union representative on the radio talking about greed and how it got us into our current mess.

    Anyway, the workers he was representing wanted extra money because they were relocating to another office or something. When it was put to him did he not think that was being greedy, he chuckled and said aboslutely not and unions are there to get as much for the workers as possible.

    I guess the point I'm tyring to make is that everybody else sees every other person as greedy. Not themselves, no, never.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern man’s existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

    "Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    That horse bolted a long time ago.

    Welcome to your neoliberal future.
    Plus, wouldn't the neo-liberals see the benefits of hiring a younger person rather than retaining an older person at maximum remuneration?
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    We have a choice. We can choose when to retire.
    No we don't. The state will be bankrupt for a long time. And our pensions will suffer.

    Burton has already decided that the pension age will be pushed out. Given the pace at which the workpace operates these days, that is effectively committing people to penury in their old age.

    And then there is the labour market.

    A large proportion of the households in this country are barely surviving.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    I remember ages back there was some union representative on the radio talking about greed and how it got us into our current mess.

    Anyway, the workers he was representing wanted extra money because they were relocating to another office or something. When it was put to him did he not think that was being greedy, he chuckled and said aboslutely not and unions are there to get as much for the workers as possible.

    I guess the point I'm tyring to make is that everybody else sees every other person as greedy. Not themselves, no, never.
    Everyone deserves a chance to work. I would class myself as greedy if I was still working into my mid-70s while there were young people who could do my job but weren't getting that chance.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Shqiptar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Strypetown
    Posts
    6,308
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    No we don't. The state will be bankrupt for a long time. And our pensions will suffer.

    Burton has already decided that the pension age will be pushed out. Given the pace at which the workpace operates these days, that is effectively committing people to penury in their old age.

    And then there is the labour market.

    A large proportion of the households in this country are barely surviving.
    Is that better than paying the dole for hundreds of thousands of young people? The developed world is probably too rich. We'll all see our standards of living fall. At least, by spreading the work around, we can avoid the societal effects of massive levels of youth unemployment.

    Who is more likely to commit crime? Disaffected young people with no future or older people who might not be so well-off but at least can look back on a career well-worked and a life well-lived?
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    14,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    We have a choice. We can choose when to retire.
    Wrong.

    In a few years there will be no pension fund and there will not be the tax receipts to pay for pensions.

    At that point those who do not own property will be utterly destitute. The renters will be paying rent to the landlords so that they can have a retirement.

    Take a look at how much dent Ireland is racking up. By living so far beyond its means, Ireland is ensuring that the next two or three generations will suffer.

    Coming up upon €169 billion.
    FinanceDublin.com - Irish Debt Clock

    There will be no state pension in 20 years and any teacher or nurse who thinks they will have a state pension is an idiot.

    Best to have a house with a large garden and very big greenhouse.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    14,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Everyone deserves a chance to work. I would class myself as greedy if I was still working into my mid-70s while there were young people who could do my job but weren't getting that chance.
    If there is no pension when you are in your 70's will you martyr yourself for the next generation or keep working so as to have food?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •