Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nesbitt throws a wobbly and runs home with his ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nesbitt throws a wobbly and runs home with his ball

UUP leader Media Mike Nesbitt has thrown a bit of a tantrum after SF minister John O'Dowd was alleged to have said "so what?" after the UUP, SDLP and Alliance accused SF of keeping them in the dark over a plan for a "shared future". I know, the horror of it all.

Anyway Nesbitt has now decided to show SF who's who by withdrawing from attending a SF sponsored conference at the Europa Hotel titled: The City of Equals in an Island of Equals.

More:

He told the BBC: "I'd given a provisional 'yes' to giving a keynote address at a conference on the future of Belfast organised by Sinn Fein and I was looking positively at that.

"But given the remarks by John O'Dowd, the 'so what' which tells you all you need to know about what he, at least, thinks about the Ulster Unionist Party and the other two (parties) which are not at the centre of government, unless that's fixed, the damage is done.

"I can't fix it. Unless it's fixed I can see no way that I can participate in the Sinn Fein event at this stage given those remarks."
    BBC News - Nesbitt pulls out of SF conference in protest at O'Dowd remarks

Further proof of the immaturity within the leadership of unionism to take offence at every little thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus...........not another Nordie thread
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I saw that and burst out laughing.
    UUP are where SF were about 20 years ago, insisting that they're oppressed, victimised, etc.
    A half decent leader would have accepted the invite, given it between the eyes to the Shinners and at the same time share thoughts on where society needed to be and how to get there. But, that would have required leadership. Much easier and more appealing to the fundamentalists to run off crying foul.
    You'd have to wonder if the people of NI would be better served by a sort of politically neutral troika, answerable only to the two governments.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

SF/IRA are holding an event in the Europa...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    SF/IRA are holding an event in the Europa...
    Speaking of immaturity.........

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Speaking of immaturity.........
    Whaaaaa? it's like Bomber Command having a BBQ in Dresden...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Whaaaaa? it's like Bomber Command having a BBQ in Dresden...
    Well the Europa Hotel management don't seem to give a shyte.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    I saw that and burst out laughing.
    UUP are where SF were about 20 years ago, insisting that they're oppressed, victimised, etc.
    A half decent leader would have accepted the invite, given it between the eyes to the Shinners and at the same time share thoughts on where society needed to be and how to get there. But, that would have required leadership. Much easier and more appealing to the fundamentalists to run off crying foul.
    You'd have to wonder if the people of NI would be better served by a sort of politically neutral troika, answerable only to the two governments.
    Chance would be a fine thing! Most politicians here are embarrassingly mediocre. Really talented people here stay well clear of politics and the company of politicians because of the dearth of actual talent, never mind brains. Considering that in other aspects of life a decent university degree is usually a decent indicator of ability, it is telling that neither the FM or DFM possess one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bell and O'Dowd both came across as ignorant twats on the View, as I imagine both are. But Nesbitt is good in debates, especially with SF, he should have went. It was sheer ignorance by O'Dowd who was getting flustered by Nesbitt, but he should have went to the event!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mike confirmed he had given a provisional yes to the invite but was now declining. Mike would be almost funny if he didn't take himself so seriously !
    Life is like a jar of Jalapeno Peppers, what you do today will burn your ass tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast