Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Pre-Funding Government

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Pre-Funding Government

Most people at the moment have no confidence in financial institutions and want to put at least some of their money somehere safe where they have some guarantees that they will be able to use it in the future.

What if the government offered people the opportunity to pre-fund certain government charges at todays prices but zero interest is payable on the funding. The zero interest is the benefit the government gets and the hedge against inflation is the benefit that the citizen gets.

For example if parents pay college registration fees for children that would be due to start college in the next 5 years they lock in the price of the registration fee to todays rates and the government gets the money immediately.
    Of course there would have to be the possibility of a refund if your child decides not to go to college or you emigrate etc..

Another would be to prepay property tax, motor tax, tax bills etc..

Does anyone think this would be a runner?
    I know I for one would definately go for paying the college registration fees.

The government does this with existing public service workers and their pension contributions, only the pension is far from guaranteed and the contributions are compulsory.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the government was competent and trustworthy, yes.

In reality, no.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because of Charlie McCreepys "If I have it I'll spend it" attitude. You'll give them your hard earned cash. They'll spend it buying the votes of ignorant gobshytes (again) and then thel'll come looking for more.

That's what just happened with stamp duties etc. We were awash with cash and the govt cozied up to the Unions and came up with the abomination that is benchmarking... The rest as they say is history.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What if it was managed by the NTMA in the same way that prize bonds are managed. The funds only get released to general government expenditure as they are used to pay for services. The rest of the money stays with the NTMA to reduce borrowing requirements