Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home ownership restricts mobility,raises unemployment

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Home ownership restricts mobility,raises unemployment

See Challenge to Dogma on Owning a Home - Yahoo! Finance

The completion of the motorway network should partly offset the immobility of home owners in Ireland,increasing the commuting distance for jobs. A Tipperary man told me years ago he was planning to commute from Tipp to a job in a west Dublin exurb.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by patslatt View Post
    See Challenge to Dogma on Owning a Home - Yahoo! Finance

The completion of the motorway network should partly offset the immobility of home owners in Ireland,increasing the commuting distance for jobs. A Tipperary man told me years ago he was planning to commute from Tipp to a job in a west Dublin exurb.
    I had a quick skim through the article and I didn't see any talk of other factors causing people to stay put.

I should imagine that homeowners are more likely to have children in school who's education they are unwilling to disturb or that companies that were once young and innovative were successful and so their workers felt more secure and were more likely to buy a house. As the companies matured they may have lost out to the competition and so on.

All in all it strikes me as one of those areas where there are no simple answers and one can draw whatever conclusions suits ones politics.
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As does having children, hobbies, being part of a community, having parents or siblings, etc.

Maybe we should destroy everything that makes life worthwhile to help increase "labour mobility"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It makes a point that is instinctively right. If you are welded into a house you are less likely to travel to look for a job. On the other hand is society served when families kids and all are uprooted from their schools and social networks in the constant search for insecure employment? Looks more like slavery to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niall78 View Post

As does having children, hobbies, being part of a community, having parents or siblings, etc.

Maybe we should destroy everything that makes life worthwhile to help increase "labour mobility"?
    It's an interesting dilemma, right enough. Stripping away the external, quality of life issues, it essentially boils down to whether one should go to where the work is, or sit on one's arse at home and wait for a job to come dropping into one's lap.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a dilemma at all, no more than then fact that having a social life, or even having a family interferes with work. We are not put in this earth to generate wealth for others, when you are 6 foot under the fact that you were a good employee matters fncks all.
    The true "front line workers" are the private sector paye employees who are first to take the bullet. Cannon fodder for their state and the public sector.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

.....waiting for somebody from Dublin media to declare that this is not true, and that we need another housing bubble, and that the more debt that the citizen accumulates the happier everybody will be....

of course....just like the last time....the message will be more subtle than that.

You will all be too busy trying to be "with it" that you will not even notice the scale of the millstone around your necks.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 10th May 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wexfordman View Post
    It's not a dilemma at all, no more than then fact that having a social life, or even having a family interferes with work. We are not put in this earth to generate wealth for others, when you are 6 foot under the fact that you were a good employee matters fncks all.
    A few of my friends...the richest stiffs in the graveyard....worked themselves into early graves worrying about jobs getting finished on time for scumbag employers and listening to abuse for consultants and architects only worried about covering their own arses.....
    What the imagination can't conjure, reality delivers with a shrug

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    It's an interesting dilemma, right enough. Stripping away the external, quality of life issues, it essentially boils down to whether one should go to where the work is, or sit on one's arse at home and wait for a job to come dropping into one's lap.
    That's a rather simplistic take upon it and serves to illustrate exactly what I said about the report serving all prejudices and politics.
    Once your ability to function within society depends on a government controlled ID card then you are no longer a free citizen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast