Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does the Irish media have a liberal bias?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does the Irish media have a liberal bias?

John Waters today on what he believes is a liberal bias in the media:

Media ignores the news in pursuit of liberal agenda - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Fri, May 10, 2013

My opinion is that the Irish media does indeed have a liberal bias, but that liberalism is not so much a conscious ideology but simply reflects the values of a well-educated urban middle-class elite.

Does this skew news reporting? I can't see how it doesn't. News reporting necessarily involves editing some information and discounting the rest. I don't believe anyone can be truly objective. There's lots more to news reporting than simply reporting events. The power of Workers' Party ideologues in RTE in the 70s and 80s has still to be properly analysed. It's unlikely any one group could hijack a news reporting institution again, but given lack of media diversity, I think Waters is right to highlight the danger that dissenting voices in Irish society are being ignored.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by readytogo View Post

Media ignores the news in pursuit of liberal agenda - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Fri, May 10, 2013

My opinion is that the Irish media does indeed have a liberal bias, but that liberalism is not so much a conscious ideology but simply reflects the values of a well-educated urban middle-class elite.

Does this skew news reporting? I can't see how it doesn't. News reporting necessarily involves editing some information and discounting the rest. I don't believe anyone can be truly objective. There's lots more to news reporting than simply reporting events. The power of Workers' Party ideologues in RTE in the 70s and 80s has still to be properly analysed. It's unlikely any one group could hijack a news reporting institution again, but given lack of media diversity, I think Waters is right to highlight the danger that dissenting voices in Irish society are being ignored.
    Agreed, but with a twist.

We are a left leaning society, but with an historical right wing religious streak. That is what makes us so strange when you stack us against other cultures.

Just look at the way we try to imprint our own values onto an American political map. We identify almost universally with the Democrats because of its political/economic left wing nature, but revile from their liberal social values (especially abortion) that clash with our right wing religious streak, where we find that the most extreme of Republicans are our natural bedfellows.

Waters himself is left wing politically, but right wing religiously.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Agreed, but with a twist.

We are a left leaning society, but with an historical right wing religious streak. That is what makes us so strange when you stack us against other cultures.

Just look at the way we try to imprint our own values onto an American political map. We identify almost universally with the Democrats because of its political/economic left wing nature, but revile from their liberal social values (especially abortion) that clash with our right wing religious streak, where we find that the most extreme of Republicans are our natural bedfellows.

Waters himself is left wing politically, but right wing religiously.
    yeah lol, but it didn't stop him from boning baldy O'Connor.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P Ryan View Post
    Hypocracy is a traditional domain of the religiously evangelical.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the main bias in the Irish media.

How many of you heard of "Edward Bernays" ?

The media is in the business of "manufacturing consent".

"Consent to what" you might ask.

Mostly along the lines of...
    Buy junk you don't need, with money that you have not got.
    Weaken yourself.
    Let other people do the thinking and you do the following.
    Obey those in power.
    Don't think, obey.
    Only people who obey can be trusted.
    etc...

The Irish media has proven itself to be very Liberal with witholding what is really going on.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 10th May 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Hypocracy is a traditional domain of the religiously evangelical.
    In Ireland, it is also a core value of the Frank Ross faction.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P Ryan View Post
    He became religious after that event!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am reminded of Ming's comments on the Irish media, when he was on the John Murray show, on Pravda, after his election.

Anyway Ming was asked, first off about his smoking.

And Ming responded, saying that the Dublin media went overboard characterizing him as a pot smoking candidate, and implying that Ming stood for nothing else. They seemed to revel in this, and enjoyed themselves no end in it, as they dished out contempt. They also enjoyed implying that he was a law breaker.

He then went on to say that he knew the names of many of the same journalists who were describing him as such. And yet he knew that many of them were taking far stronger mind altering substances than he was taking.

The Irish media can be very hypocritical.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 10th May 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by readytogo View Post

I hardly think the Workers' Party were liberals. Liberals are essentially just capitalists who support gay marriage and abortion.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast