Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Greek police disrupt charitable event -because only Greeks were beneficiaries

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Greek police disrupt charitable event -because only Greeks were beneficiaries

The Greek police, under instructions by their Prime Minister disrupted a charitable event conducted by the third largest party in Greece (according to opinion polls), People's Association – Golden Dawn.

Police block far-right

Greece’s anti-immigrant Golden Dawn party scuffled with police who stopped them distributing food exclusively to Greeks in Athens’ central square today ahead of the Greek Orthodox Easter holiday on May 5th.
    Television footage showed Golden Dawn members in their trademark black t-shirts hitting riot police on the head with rolled up Greek flags after being prevented from unloading eggs, bread, lamb to hand out in Syntagma Square.
    Police responded with a brief burst of teargas. Athens mayor George Kaminis had banned the far-right party from conducting the handout in the square in front of parliament, calling it a “soup kitchen of hatred” because only those with a Greek identity card were eligible to receive food.
    “Democracy will prevail,” said Mr Kaminis. “Today the logic of violence, of thuggery, of ‘having my way’ was beaten.
    What does it matter that only Greeks were the intended beneficiaries of this event, surely if some more Greeks received aid then that frees up resources for others? Some might say this denies People's Association – Golden Dawn some sort of propaganda value. I would counter that the unnecessary police action has probably been a boon to the party. So now the Greek government is frustrating the efforts of others to help their own citizens? I wonder how this will play out?

I'm undecided about them myself, but I can easily understand why they are rising in support:
    Greek youth unemployment rate hits 64% - European News | Latest News from Across Europe | The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013

Greek youth unemployment shot to a record 64 per cent in February, underscoring the dire state of the recession-hit economy despite signs of improving business sentiment.
    Repeated doses of austerity under international bailouts have almost tripled Greece’s jobless rate since its debt crisis began in 2009, weighing on an economy in its sixth year of recession.
    Overall unemployment has risen to an all-time high of 27 per cent, data showed today, while joblessness in the 15-to-24 age group jumped to 64.2 per cent in February from 59.3 per cent in January.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

golden dawn are vermin, they should be outlawed and their leaders should be interned indefinitely without trial. They are fascist scum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

While not a fan of Golden Dawn, I think the govt have just scored a major own goal by appearing to be trying to prevent aid to Greeks going through hard times. Discriminatory or not, those in need shouldn't be denied it at a time when the Greek state can no longer afford to provide it. PC is at play here, and perhaps also pressure from the EU to crack down on Golden Dawn. In a democracy, banning political parties is something I am strongly opposed to, unlike Western European countries that have a tradition of doing so.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    While not a fan of Golden Dawn, I think the govt have just scored a major own goal by appearing to be trying to prevent aid to Greeks going through hard times. Discriminatory or not, those in need shouldn't be denied it at a time when the Greek state can no longer afford to provide it. PC is at play here, and perhaps also pressure from the EU to crack down on Golden Dawn. In a democracy, banning political parties is something I am strongly opposed to, unlike Western European countries that have a tradition of doing so.
    if a political party poses a major threat to democracy then i firmly believe that a democratic government is morally obliged to use whatever means are necessary to eliminate the group, in this case golden dawn, sometimes state terror is necessary to prevent a country sliding into dictatorship, the hardline is the most effective line when dealing with golden dawn.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disapprove of this organization but it was their food, wasn't it? And if you own something you can give it to others at will, cant you? And the people who wanted the food are hardly Nazis for wanting to eat, are they?
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    golden dawn are vermin, they should be outlawed and their leaders should be interned indefinitely without trial. They are fascist scum.
    If the people vote for fascists, it has to be respected.

Democracy. You know?

Just like UKIP.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubstudent View Post
    If the people vote for fascists, it has to be respected.

Democracy. You know?

Just like UKIP.
    a democratic party does not engage in widespread violence against its political opponents and attack people they don't like. Golden dawn are scum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a democratic party does not engage in widespread violence against its political opponents and attack people they don't like. Golden dawn are scum.
    But they have democratically elected members of the Greek parliament. The state wanting to ban a political party, isn't that a bit like fascism?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if a political party poses a major threat to democracy then i firmly believe that a democratic government is morally obliged to use whatever means are necessary to eliminate the group, in this case golden dawn, sometimes state terror is necessary to prevent a country sliding into dictatorship, the hardline is the most effective line when dealing with golden dawn.
    Why do Eire people moralise so much?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't think a party can threaten democracy if the Constitution is robust enough to prevent them monopolising power. That was the problem with Germany. President Hindenburg was able to suspend the Constitution and hand dictatorial powers to Hitler. Direct democracy also protects democracy from political parties because it keeps them in check and allows the people overturn bad decisions by their rulers.
    Save the 27th

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast