Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Marriage Support And The Bradley Effect?

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Gay Marriage Support And The Bradley Effect?

I sincerely hope that this is not the case but could there be an element of the Bradley effect in the 70% opinion poll support for gay marriage in our great little country of liars? Basically, telling pollsters something to make yourself look like a liberal instead of a God forsaken Redneck imbecile!

From Wki -

It was named after Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley, an African-American who lost the 1982 California governor's race despite being ahead in voter polls going into the elections.[6]

The Bradley effect theory posits that the inaccurate polls were skewed by the phenomenon of social desirability bias.[7][8] Specifically, some white voters give inaccurate polling responses for fear that, by stating their true preference, they will open themselves to criticism of racial motivation. Members of the public may feel under pressure to provide an answer that is deemed to be more publicly acceptable, or 'politically correct'. The reluctance to give accurate polling answers has sometimes extended to post-election exit polls as well. The race of the pollster conducting the interview may factor into voters' answers

Wait until the old Theocratic state's overlords get involved! Ala the first divorce referendum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So any offers on this one?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Of course it's possible. I think there remains some latent homophobia especially amongst men, some of whom frown on it as "unmanly". Having said that I think the country has changed and it will pass but one danger to it will be ifg the no campaign can persuade people it will somehow be bad for children. I think maye 55-45 is closer to the final outcome than 70-30. There is a history of divisive social issues starting off with strong support which then get very close by polling day e.g. divorce/abortion referendums.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    So any offers on this one?
    Well I certainly hope that if there is a referendum on the matter people will vote according to what they really feel, and not feel pressurized by any group on any side.

This has been discussed on many Gay marriage threads already.

Do we really need yet another one.

For the record I have no problem with gay marriage, but if I see any more threads on it I will be tempted to change my mind. You could call it the over subjected to gay marriage threads effect!
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would like to marry my dog. I wonder does than mean I am a modern altruistic liberal or
    "a God forsaken Redneck imbecile!"?
    Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Herren View Post
    I would like to marry my dog. I wonder does than mean I am a modern altruistic liberal or
    "a God forsaken Redneck imbecile!"?
    Well if you want to have carnal knowledge of said dog after marriage, probably both!

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1982 was a long time ago. The US has a black president since then.
    The only hope of defeating the gay marriage referendum is a tiny, tiny turnout. There are not enough Ronan Mullins' or John Waters' in this country to carry a high No vote. Gay marriage is as black and white as giving women the vote. There is no argument against it. The only people who will even try will be advocates for a discredited, and dying, religion.
    Even moderately low turnout will pass this referendum comfortably. A medium turnout will pass this referendum by a conservative 67-68%. A high turnout will pass it by 75-80% plus.

Yes.

I am not at all confident that a referendum would be successful.
    Repeal the 27th.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    The only people who will even try will be advocates for a discredited, and dying, religion.
    Say if you're an atheist?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast