Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the C- word acceptable?

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the C- word acceptable?

There is currently a thread going on about Mary Lou MacDonald's and the word "dick". It got me thinking about the C-word- no not cannabis, but c*nt. Irish people, being far more civilized that other people, swear quite frequently. Swearing can be an art form and for some people it can even be the basis of a career, and it should definitely form a significant part of our national curriculum, but there is at least one expletive that has traditionally been the cause of outrage and that is of course the C word. So what do we think? Is the c-word grossly offensive? Should it be banned from the airwaves? Should be its social usage be discouraged? Or is it just another swear word to which one should not overreact?
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Ramps

V. Browne has some very strong feelings about the use of that particular word!

Have to say, though there is no particular reason why it should be so, I find that word to be very crude and vulgar.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    There is currently a thread going on about Mary Lou MacDonald's and the word "dick". It got me thinking about the C-word- no not cannabis, but c*nt. Irish people, being far more civilized that other people, swear quite frequently. Swearing can be an art form and for some people it can even be the basis of a career, and it should definitely form a significant part of our national curriculum, but there is at least one expletive that has traditionally been the cause of outrage and that is of course the C word. So what do we think? Is the c-word grossly offensive? Should it be banned from the airwaves? Should be its social usage be discouraged? Or is it just another swear word to which one should not overreact?
    It should be held in reserve for when you really really want to insult a women .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In America the C word is never used, in Britain and Ireland it's alot more relaxed. I do find Women using the word to be disgusting, I remember when I started work, and the owl wans with real Dublin accents were using it in the Cafeteria, I found it to be revolting TBH.
    Last edited by Politics matters; 9th May 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    It should be held in reserve for when you really really want to insult a women .
    Or to turn her on; I've known some American women to positively squeal when it's used in context.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Ireland, the F word and the C word are used in everyday conversation. So how do people express real outrage? They hit or they spit.

Personally, I think reserving the C word for the highest outrage would cut down on the hitting and spitting.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It depends on context of usage really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not offended by any particular word and I don't see why you should be. I like the C word. It is quite visceral and often produces a satisfying reaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is a word I used always hate - but the past few years I've started using it an awful lot.
    Always to describe women
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stopdoingstuff View Post
    I absolutely love the word! It is one of the most POWERFUL insults ever. Unlike other great words like c**ksucker and motherf**ker and so on, it has not lost its cutting edge!

But being serious, no word should ever be banned, ever. It's just a word. It's just a sound you can make and nobody in the world has the right NOT to be offended. THAT being said I don't stroll around the public square yelling C*NT but I'm an adult so if I did, I'd have much bigger problems.
    "Do not believe everything that you read on the Internet."
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast