Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 158 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bus Éireann strike is likely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Bus Éireann strike is likely.

Bus Éireann workers set to strike on Sunday - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013

Bus Éireann, which lost some €6 million last year, plans to cut payroll costs by €5 million. The company says the cuts are necessary to ensure its viability and protect 2,500 jobs.
    Why do Bus Éireann employees not accept that these cuts are necessary? It is as if they would be quite happy to see Bus Éireann go bust, which would mean that, instead of their salaries being cut, they'd lose their jobs. I cannot understand their mentality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From an entirely selfish point of view, this won't bother me, if anything, it will be pleasant navigating the city without the hassle of buses clogging the place up.

From a more empathic point of view, it's going to make life extremely difficult for thousands of people, not just for the purposes of work but for all manner of activities and as such I hope they won't go ahead with it. In theory I would be a supporter of the right to strike but this will not get them any sympathy.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    Bus Éireann workers set to strike on Sunday - Social Affairs & News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, May 09, 2013

Why do Bus Éireann employees not accept that these cuts are necessary? It is as if they would be quite happy to see Bus Éireann go bust, which would mean that, instead of their salaries being cut, they'd lose their jobs. I cannot understand their mentality.
    They don't believe the government will allow it go under and will increase the subsidy as part of the settlement to keep their pay and conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wish BE drivers would do another "no cost to travel" day like a few years ago.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post

Once a public service obligation is attached to a company providing any service, while its competitors are allowed to cherry pick profitable routes, we must be prepared to bear the cost. It is not a justification for penalizing the workers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't understand why the company can't simply sit the staff down and say, 'due to the difficult economic climate there needs to be cuts on pay roll in order for the company to survive, this can be achieved by reduced pay/conditions or through a reduction in staff members).

If they go on strike it'll be a great day for private bus operators who realise that East European drivers will work for €10 or under per hour and are better able to drive in difficult weather. I'd also expect a boom time for Irish Rail.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh no,

How the hell am I going to.....,

Oh wait,

P1ss off BE,

Total waste of money,

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

NBRU industrial action will probably see train services affected too.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard dengler View Post
    NBRU industrial action will probably see train services affected too.
    Maybe we should privatize the rail service like in the UK! Seen the fares lately, the efficiency and economy of the private sector is something to behold?

Here is hoping that government show some back bone and don't cave in to them.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 158 123451151101 ... LastLast