Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish people who went to Britain to help her in the war efforts during WWII

Thomas_

Default Irish people who went to Britain to help her in the war efforts during WWII

I was wondering if theres any book about stories from Irish people who went to Britain to take up jobs to replace the British men serving in the forces, and so helping in the war efforts.

Anyone on here who has read anything about that?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Angela's Ashes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Сохранить Украины

Thomas_

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Angela's Ashes?
    Im not referring to novels like that of Frank McCourt, Im more asking for something more factual, like memories from that time.

The Kamu Sutra is full of information on people changing positions; although I'm not sure if this extends to during bloody periods
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Thomas_

I wasnt asking for Dads Army either, but thank you for the link.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_ View Post
    Im not referring to novels like that of Frank McCourt, Im more asking for something more factual, like memories from that time.
    Arrr, I know. I was just kidding, but in a sort of serious way. I've heard a lot of stories of men who abandoned their families in this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok. I've never come across such a book but it sounds like a good idea. I did once meet a man who was an RAF training instructor who was from Kilkenny and only went along cause he loved flying. Now deceased sadly.
    Сохранить Украины

Dylan2010

wasnt there a lot of resentemnt to people who went to work in NI?

Thomas_

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Arrr, I know. I was just kidding, but in a sort of serious way. I've heard a lot of stories of men who abandoned their families in this way.
    These were difficult times and I suppose that it wasnt popular to go to Britain for helping in the war effort either. It was probably an opportunity to get work in times of high unemployment in Ireland. I was more thinking on the dangerous places these people went to. Facing the horrors of war at first hand on the "British Home Front".

Seems that this hasnt been a topic for books related to Irish history. Ive once seen one dealing with some Irishmen who went to fight on the German side during WWII. That book wasnt of my interest.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast