Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Minister Quinn & Labour wants to divert child benefit cash

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Minister Quinn & Labour wants to divert child benefit cash

I see minister Quinn wants to divert child benefit funds into early-education. He is using the usual excuse of narrowing the gap in education between the wealthy and the disadvantaged. If he really wanted to help the disadvantaged he should immediately cut the 100 million euro funding that goes to fee paying secondary schools. This 100 million would do a lot to help early education.

Quinn: Child benefit money could be diverted to early education | Irish Examiner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally I think it's an excellent idea.
    Might make mickey money night a little less profitable though.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Personally I think it's an excellent idea.
    Might make mickey money night a little less profitable though.
    I take it you have very little financial worries

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    I see minister Quinn wants to divert child benefit funds into early-education. He is using the usual excuse of narrowing the gap in education between the wealthy and the disadvantaged. If he really wanted to help the disadvantaged he should immediately cut the 100 million euro funding that goes to fee paying secondary schools. This 100 million would do a lot to help early education.

Quinn: Child benefit money could be diverted to early education | Irish Examiner
    why do you sabotage your own thread?, Quinn was asked about the private schools thing on the news and he said they were seperate issues. Youd be better starting a thread without landmines built into

Boggle

Unless early education brings about an improvement in educational outcomes, I don't really see the point... or at least I'd prefer to see the money spent on proper schools to get rid of portakabins and keep class sizes down.

The article doesn't really give you much to go on though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

An excellent idea which could also serve to reduce the incentive to have children to get more welfare.
    Fair and Balanced

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's a good proposal, in theory. I would be happy to see the child benefit money diverted into providing universal pre-school and child care provision.

The current system of handing over bundles of cash to people is old-style Bertieconomics and is an inefficient use of resources

Dylan2010

it still requires an answer to the question can the state make up for dumb parents who have an anti educational bias?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A good idea in the good times.

Now? He must want to drag a large part of the country using this to pay for their homes, utilities and food down into the depths. Misery loves company and all that.
    The idiots in Dail eireann will have us all back in the fields soon. Permanent penury for all.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ruairi Spin went to boarding school himself. He represents a part of Dublin, where it is often the done thing.

If Ruairi Spin really wanted to save cash for more important purposes, he would tell Gimmemore that she is not needed as an advisor.

What was the selection procedure there anyway ? apart from the usual Looper Party nepotism.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast