Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK's New Immigration Laws

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default UK's New Immigration Laws

There is a spate of new immigration laws to be introduced in the UK today. All of the measures will be announced at the Queens speech today but one thus far I just saw on Bloomberg is that Landlords in the UK will be required to check the immigration status of tenants.

Private landlords will be forced to check the visa status of tenants or face fines of thousands of pounds to tackle fraudulent immigration to the U.K., under plans to be announced today by Queen Elizabeth II.
    U.K. to Make Landlords Check Tenants

David Cameron will today make his most concerted effort yet to prevent a stampede of his core vote to UKIP by unveiling measures to stem the flow of EU migrants to Britain, including imposing fines on private landlords if they do not check the immigration status of their tenants.

Landlords will face fines of thousands of pounds under proposals due to be unveiled in the Queen's speech today.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/ma...rb-eu-migrants

This is probably the classic example of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.
    Last edited by Ulster-Lad; 8th May 2013 at 10:40 AM.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another bit to the legislation.

The Queen's Speech will include a parliamentary bill aimed at making it easier to deport foreign criminals and those who enter the UK illegally.
    BBC News - Queen's Speech: Immigration rules 'to be tougher'
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member TheWexfordInn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Queen's Speech will include a parliamentary bill aimed at making it easier to deport foreign criminals and those who enter the UK illegally.
    I wonder if this is anything to so with the talk of exiting the ECHR over the inability of the UK to deport Abu Qatada following an ECHR ruling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder will this be another British Government policy our Government will adopt ?

Time will tell....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calling it a 'new' system implies it is replacing something. The current immigration system is basically non-existent (I've been through it, I know).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UK Labour Party has admitted that the Blair/Brown govts made the proverbial hames of it over there. In particular Labour has accepted that throwing open the UK labour market (2004) to 70 million east Europeans was a great mistake. No doubt FF will now come out and accept that Cowen's decision to open our labour market was similarly irresponsible.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and place new responsibilities on EU member states to pay if their citizens use the NHS.
    Anyone got figures on how much UK citizens in France, Cypruse, Malta etc. cost the health care system there, considering the amount of retirees ...

I see Lawson is mentioned again. I wonder how leaving the EU would affect him considering he lives in France.

Also since when are migrants allowed claim jobseekers benefits? I can't go to Germany and claim welfare unless I've been paying tax for x amount of time, you can't claim welfare here without fufilling habitual residence clause.

Have I missed out on a load of free money or are we talking about welfare fraud?

"welfare tourism" will be discussed at the next JHA council, after UK, NL, AT and eh ... someone else wrote to Shatter about it. So it should hopefully clarify what it is and is it widespread.

Also anyone want to quote the EU article that allows migrants to claim welfare?

It seems to be a national issue to me.

Migrants are allowed transfer their welfare for awhile to seek work in other countries but I am not aware of articles that allow them claim welfare in another member state. So if I go job seeking in France, the social welfare office in Ireland will pay into my bank account for 4 weeks or so while I am job seeking in France.

While not one for focusing on politics of personality, I don't have much faith in Teresa May to actually introduce solid legislation in this area. She has screwed up everything else she has touched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
    The UK Labour Party has admitted that the Blair/Brown govts made the proverbial hames of it over there. In particular Labour has accepted that throwing open the UK labour market (2004) to 70 million east Europeans was a great mistake. No doubt FF will now come out and accept that Cowen's decision to open our labour market was similarly irresponsible.
    To be fair, FF did put in limits on social welfare for new arrivals. UK Labour didn't seem to do that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was it? Whats the evidence for that?
    Was it just media pandering?

In Ireland migrant labour filled many roles at a time it was needed and many have returned home now.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and this is where we touch upon the essential difference between FFinished and the British Looper Party.

FFinished never admit to any phuckups, even in the midst of massive public disengagement.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast