Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Should all junior minister roles be abolished?

Voters
162. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

101 62.35%
  • No

61 37.65%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously Though.... Do we need Junior Ministers ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Seriously Though.... Do we need Junior Ministers ?

This article reignited a thought I've had many times since we found ourselves in financial difficulties. We are constantly being told by the politicians we'll have to do more for less, work longer in our lives, pay more taxes for less services... etc.

Why is it then that 15 Ministers with all their staff in their Departments and all their expensive advisors cannot do what needs to be done ?

I think it's time to stick to the 15 Ministers as set out in the Constitution. It would send out an important signal....

Francis Fitzgerald seems to be in a world of her own and not realise she's actually in Government. Kathleen Lynch recently announced a new appointment only to be corrected by the HSE as they were still interviewing for the role. It will be interesting to see if she was on the money with that one....

Fitzgerald :

“IF YOU HAVE been sexually abused, you don’t need help in nine months time or two years. You need help immediately.”

In a recent broad-ranging interview, TheJournal.ie asked Children’s Minister Frances Fitzgerald about waiting lists for therapy and counselling services for young victims of sexual abuse.

She said she was “constantly amazed” by the lack of basic services in Ireland after years of being a relatively rich country.

Asked about current austerity measures and their impact on already vulnerable children, the Minister said it was something that government needs to be “extremely sensitive” about every time there is a budgetary decision that impacts on children and families.
    Children’s Minister ‘constantly amazed’ at lack of basic services

Surely we should be getting rid of this €130,000 post as there is no Constitutional requirement to have Junior Ministers ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree and the Seanad to boot.

However, when two Parties make up a government how do you create jobs for all the personnel they have without the Seanad and Junior miniseries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post

However, when two Parties make up a government how do you create jobs for all the personnel they have without the Seanad and Junior miniseries.
    I think the Seanad should be reformed but not gotten rid of entirely....

I simply cannot see any need though, other than handing out pats on the back, for spending nearly €2m a year plus expenses on Junior Minister positions when services are being cut left right and centre.... so to speak.

It's just wrong....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We don't need any Ministers at all,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post

I thought they were elected to a job?

Besides without Junior Ministries how would we have gotten all the entertainment of Shortall v Reilly?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

we need them as much as we need coveny to tell us that more austerity is required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't Creighton and Kehoe get paid the same as senior ministers for some bullsh1t reason?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    I thought they were elected to a job?

Besides without Junior Ministries how would we have gotten all the entertainment of Shortall v Reilly?
    As entertaining as that was.... was it worth €130,000 plus expenses ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best way would be to have only 11 ministers and if they complain theirs too much work they get go quit. As for the rest of the members in a coalition they would be slipt into groups and perform minor jobs in individal departments without extra perks or extra pay rise, since they can think of it as getting them off their asses to help.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yet another consequence of our ridiculous electoral system - it improves the chance of re-election for TDs with poor prospects and puts some in positions which are way past their ability as a consequence.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast