Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Brian Shivers banged up but now innocent. What say ye?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Brian Shivers banged up but now innocent. What say ye?

First Colin Duffy was freed, now Brian Shivers. Either the prosecutors are totally inept or the government was trying to frame both.

Brian Shivers, 47, who was acquitted of the Massereene shootings after a retrial at Belfast crown court. Photograph: Mark Marlow/Pacemaker Press

The only man to be convicted of the Real IRA killing of two soldiers just hours before they were to be deployed to Afghanistan has been found not guilty in a retrial.

Brian Shivers had been jailed for murdering the army engineers Mark Quinsey and Patrick Azimkar in what a judge described as a "ferocious and ruthless" gun attack outside Massereene barracks in Antrim Town four years ago.

But on Friday at Belfast crown court, Shivers was cleared of the murders.

Mr Justice Deeney said the prosection case against the 47-year-old Co Derry man rested on circumstantial evidence, namely DNA found on two matches and a phone in the Real IRA getaway car. The judge said he could not be sure that these items were not contaminated innocently by the defendant.
    I am standing on the threshold of another trembling world. May God have mercy on my soul.

Politics.ie Member Evergreenfinch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or a deal was done.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who knows what the fek was going on in this murky world. It'll probably come out eventually though.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the States one can be convicted on circumstantial evidence. But Shivers seemed an unlikley profile of a Dissident operative. But what do I know. I go on intuition.

Though I was having a hard time with the DNA matches.
    I am standing on the threshold of another trembling world. May God have mercy on my soul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then again, I would trust MI5 as far as I could throw them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnchadha View Post
    In the States one can be convicted on circumstantial evidence. But Shivers seemed an unlikley profile of a Dissident operative. But what do I know. I go on intuition.

Though I was having a hard time with the DNA matches.
    The DNA profiling used is not recognised by any Courts in mainland Europe. This was the first time it was deemed admissible evidence in a UK Court. I didn't buy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcella View Post
    The DNA profiling used is not recognised by any Courts in mainland Europe. This was the first time it was deemed admissible evidence in a UK Court. I didn't buy it.
    They just wanted to bang him up.

I understood Colin Duffy better. The bottom line is that they wanted to make his life as miserable as possible. At least we understand the mindset. Now that being said, on a personal level I believe Duffy is connected with certain activities but as far as the murder charges, the evidence was slim to none and slim had left the room. It seemed obvious that they were just trying to bang him up.