Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the best Irish politician and why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Who is the best Irish politician and why?

Well, I was reading the other thread, and I thought this might be an antidote for that one, because...let's face it.
    it's the easiest thing in the world to be spiteful and bitter, especially when you're targeting your political opponents.
    I was also surprised at some of the most popular nominations on that thread, because although I can come across the angry man as much as most who populate these pages, I thought that some of the rationale was quite misplaced.
    It would help if respondents entered into the spirit of the thing and not to come across as a servile Tory backbencher in the House of Commons when the late Thatcher was holding court.
    For myself, Simon Coveney and Joe McHugh come across as decent human beings and even Richard Bruton, who for me would be a more formidable leader than the plant pot avoider.
    I'm thinking more of the recent history here, so I would include most of the demoted greens, most of whom seemed to have honorable motives, although we'll argue until eternity about the policies.
    Can't give an honourable mention, off the top of my head to anyone in the Labour movement, more's the pity (genuinely) and certainly not the PD's.
    Of the independents, the ones who don't set my teeth on edge when they talk would be Shane Ross and Thomas Pringle.
    So, p.ie'ers, here's a chance to cast off your negativity and say something nice about those who you politically disagree with.
    Oh, and all the Sinn Féiners are just perfect....(yeah, right!)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Noel Browne or donagh o malley for their positive contributions to our society. Wonderful men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Names like Haughey, Cowen, Ahern, Dev, Lemass, Lenihan, Martin, Reynolds, Lynch are top of my list. Could list a lot more who were all associated with the names mentioned but as there is enough there to higlight where any success this country enjoyed came from I rest my case
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has to be Enda Kenny. He has rescued the country from the cesspool FF left it in, and has restored our nation's reputation at home and abroad. Its all the greater as he was seen as an unlikely hero - media tried to destroy him and paint Biffo as a genius, master of his brief and what have you.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Stephen Donnelly.

I think looking at the breadth of his career, it's hard to argue that Joe Higgins hasn't lived and breathed his beliefs over the past 20 years.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Donie wig
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

MrFunkyZombaloo

Enda Kenny.

Inherited daddy's seat. Almost 4 decades of politics with little or nothing to show for it. He lies, does down his own people, gets among the highest pay of premiers in the EU, runs a government who breach the constitution and loads generations of Irish people with debts and interest payments they don't owe by making what was termed illegal (the PN) by his own Minister for Finance water-tight.

And he's still in the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, Noel Browne ellie, good man, fought tooth and nail for us women. Treated like scum by the RCC of course. Used their threats on anyone who supported him and had our local convent in Crumlin, anyway, dishing out posters calling him all the names going. My mother, bless her, saw this as a sign to not only vote for him but to work for him, along with dozens of other women.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Has to be Enda Kenny. He has rescued the country from the cesspool FF left it in, and has restored our nation's reputation at home and abroad. Its all the greater as he was seen as an unlikely hero - media tried to destroy him and paint Biffo as a genius, master of his brief and what have you.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.
    Enda Kenny has 'rescued' the country?
    God help us all.
    He may be keeping merkel and the speculators happy, but the domestic economy is in as bad a condition now, if not worse than it was when the FFailures left office.

For once, and this is a first, I agree with sync.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
    Yeah, Noel Browne ellie, good man, fought tooth and nail for us women. Treated like scum by the RCC of course. Used their threats on anyone who supported him and had our local convent in Crumlin, anyway, dishing out posters calling him all the names going. My mother, bless her, saw this as a sign to not only vote for him but to work for him, along with dozens of other women.
    Lucky lady to have know him, your mum. A man who had first hand experience of the poverty that many families had to endure in our new state, and stuck his neck out for the greater good and not himself.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast