Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is scary, DNA + 3D printing = your caught !

Default Now THIS is scary, DNA + 3D printing = your caught !

If you are one of the tiny percentage of people who have never done anything (morally or legally) wrong, then there is nothing to see here, please walk on, but for normal humans, especially the lipstick on the collar merchants, then........

It started with hair. Donning a pair of rubber gloves, Heather Dewey-Hagborg collected hairs from a public bathroom at Penn Station and placed them in plastic baggies for safe keeping. Then, her search expanded to include other types of forensic evidence. As the artist traverses her usual routes through New York City from her home in Brooklyn, down sidewalks onto city buses and subway cars—even into art museums—she gathers fingernails, cigarette butts and wads of discarded chewing gum.
    Dewey-Hagborg’s odd habit has a larger purpose. The 30-year-old PhD student, studying electronic arts at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York, extracts DNA from each piece of evidence she collects and enters this data into a computer program, which churns out a model of the face of the person who left the hair, fingernail, cigarette or gum behind.

It gets creepier.

From those facial models, she then produces actual sculptures using a 3D printer. When she shows the series, called “Stranger Visions,” she hangs the life-sized portraits, like life masks, on gallery walls. Oftentimes, beside a portrait, is a Victorian-style wooden box with various compartments holding the original sample, data about it and a photograph of where it was found.

Artist Heather Dewey-Hagborg and her DNA-derived self-portrait. Photo by Dan Phiffer.

If an artist can now afford this technology then soon everyone else can, I wonder will the streets stay any cleaner or marriages be any safer or will boys and girls continue to be boys and girls and just carry a pocket vacuum cleaner

Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

We're getting into a really interesting time period for the criminal system, DNA isn't quite the panacea it was for the last 20 years or so.

News Blog: Lab creates fake DNA evidence
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    We're getting into a really interesting time period for the criminal system, DNA isn't quite the panacea it was for the last 20 years or so.

News Blog: Lab creates fake DNA evidence
    That is really really scary if connected to the OP via a scorned woman
    Best regards, Pat.Twitter-energy economy news _ _ Each to their ability, together we progress.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The rate technology is advancing, it is completely impossible to imagine the world by 2100, not a mind the year 3000.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has she actually reproduced an image which is identical or similar to the owner of the original DNA?? Methinks not.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, I'm no science professor or anything,

But you can't produce a physical likeness from a DNA sample,

Even with a 3-D printer,

simeongrimes

For a spouse to look for evidence they would first have to become suspicious and if they are suspicious you are usually going to be caught anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every week there is some new "somebody creates something" scare in regard to 3D printers. Funny how you never actually hear anything about the guys who must now have fully equipped armies with all the guns they've printed, or all the billionaires who are printing out complex machines.......

Methinks the 3D printing industry puts a lot of this stuff out itself - no news is bad news.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, while predicting someone's appearance from their DNA is certainly an interesting proposition, I'd like to see the output of this mysterious computer program for known DNA samples before I consider this anything more than a gimmick to sell artwork...

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always take my hairs with me when I leave public bathrooms. I'd hate for people to know I pee.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast