Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Wall Street Journal Opinion Piece recommends Women Freeze their Eggs

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Wall Street Journal Opinion Piece recommends Women Freeze their Eggs

I think this is an interesting issue which will probably become more affordable in future. Biology obviously constrains the age at which women can currently have birth, but this could theoretically allow women to have children at a much older age. You could also argue that men should freeze sperm as the incidence of de novo mutations in children increases with paternal age.

It's also a way of equalising a disadvantage women have to some extent, in that they spend their prime fertiity years getting a degree or working. As the author notes:

We are witnessing an unprecedented time in history. Women have enjoyed more opportunity in nearly every area of their lives, except the ability to have children. We undoubtedly will be trying to navigate this mismatch for generations to come, but if technology can temporarily compensate by adding another layer of choice, that is a reprieve indeed.
    Why I Froze My Eggs (And You Should, Too) - WSJ.com

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

meh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's interesting is your reference to the risks of older men fathering children due to the higher likelihood of mutations. I read about that recently and this appears to be serious enough consideration. I think though in relation to women it is not just the age at which they have children but their health fitness and energy to see their children through their 23 years of childhood (yes, 23 years). For the overwhelming majority of women in the world this issue is of very little relevance to them at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This topic came up for discussion yesterday:http://www.politics.ie/forum/zoo/210...hould-too.html

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
    A womans peak fertility is at age 22, after that its all downhill,
    a womans body communicates her health and fertility to men, as she ages men read the signs and their interest drops.
    She may have viable eggs but who's going to fertilise them?
    There's a great chat up line in there somewhere......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chi019 View Post
    I think this is an interesting issue which will probably become more affordable in future. Biology obviously constrains the age at which women can currently have birth, but this could theoretically allow women to have children at a much older age. You could also argue that men should freeze sperm as the incidence of de novo mutations in children increases with paternal age.

It's also a way of equalising a disadvantage women have to some extent, in that they spend their prime fertiity years getting a degree or working. As the author notes:

Why I Froze My Eggs (And You Should, Too) - WSJ.com
    If it allows women to have a career and have children when they're ready, then why not? I know a few childless couples in their late 30s who kept putting it off, and now IVF isn't working out for them due to poor egg quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While technology can help move the arrival of children other biological problems with the parents arise. I recall a relative claim that the 20s was the best time because you've got the energy for them. I know a number of people in their mid to late 40s who are rearing very young kids and the biggest problem is their energy levels. You are after all close to if not past the halfway point in your life long after the body would be expecting to have children.
    Last edited by sic transit; 6th May 2013 at 12:46 PM.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway