Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 funny gaffes from American politicians

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 10 funny gaffes from American politicians

1. John Edwards is feeling pretty.

2. Christine O'Donnell - she's not a witch.

3. Georgia Congressman fears overpopulation could cause island of Guam to "tip over and capsize".

4. Mitt Romney - "who let the dogs out?"

5. Barack Obama - breathalyser for kids with asthma.

6. George H.W Bush - "we've had some sex".

7. Dan Quayle - multiple gaffes within 40 seconds.

8. John Dean's "scream".

9. George W. Bush and the "one finger victory salute".

10. Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper introduces a "rising sex star" in an elementary school.

Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Katie Couric Interview with Sarah Palin ......... and Tina Fey
    At times, Tina Fey just repeated what Palin said.

If you want more: SNL Tina Fey then Gov. Palin - YouTube
    Last edited by TiredOfBeingTired; 5th May 2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of my all-time favourites happened recently enough in 2010, when former US Senator (and putative Democratic presidential nominee in 2004) Carol Mosely Braun continued the slow-motion destruction of her career and credibility while running for Mayor of Chicago. The race was eventually won easily by Rahm Emmannuel but it got very ugly between the "also-ran" candidates.

During a town hall debate, Mosely Braun was accused by one of her opponents, city council member Patricia Van Pelt Watkins, of being invisible locally to the extent that she wasn't aware that Braun even lived in the city any more.

In an astonishing riposte, Mosely Braun said that the reason for this was that Van Pelt-Watkins had been "strung out on crack for the last 20 years".

The other candidates sat motionless, aghast and ashen-faced as this was going on. It was truly hilarious.

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That Guam one was truly shocking, nearly as shocking as GWB making President.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

compare the above with the idiocy of our politicians

"I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know it's not from the US, but there is another famous gaffe attributed to Heinrich Lubke, who was President of West Germany from 1959-69 and was notoriously gaffe-prone as a result of his failing health and memory.

Apparently in 1962 while addressing a crowd in Monrovia in Liberia, he began a speech by saying: "Ladies and Gentlemen, dear Negroes..."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And who can forget all the other gems from recent years!

1) Governor of South Carolina Mark Sanford's "hike on the Appalachian trail" (he was actually in Argentina having sex with hookers)

2) Governor of Illinois Rod Blegojevich (that name no-one could pronounce) caught on tape trying to sell President-elect Barack Obama's Senate seat for cash.

3) An astonishing gaffe by Condoleeza Rice at a dinner in Washington, where she almost referred to GWB as her husband. She said: "As I was telling my husb—" before abruptly stopping herself and continuing "As I was telling President Bush."

4) An attempt by Barack Obama to court the proletariat at a bowling alley in Pennsylvania which went disastrously wrong when he scored just 37 in a game. As one local told reporters: "He bowls like my four-and-a-half-year-old daughter.". Leno compared Obama's bowling skills to the Special Olympics and had to make a public apology.

5) Hillary Clinton's false claim that she was under sniper fire during a trip to Bosnia. Remember that one!

All of these are on YouTube!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Howard Dean one was blown out of all proportion. It's a disgrace that something as silly as that was enough to thwart his bid.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obama after visiting 57 states....

Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

most of these were harmless. Hank Johnson however - how the hell did a thick slab of ignorance and stupidity like that get elected? oh wait...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast