Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there room for UKIP in NI politics?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is there room for UKIP in NI politics?

After UKIP's stunning performance in the english council elections yesterday in which they received on average 25% of the vote I was wondering is there room for them in NI politics?

I'm aware they've run before in the north but with new previously unfounded success can they make avenues into NI and would or would the tribal politics see them excluded? I was in particular thinking about Euro elections where in great britian they took 16% of the vote in 2009 even when they werent the hot topic of the day. If they do run in the euro elections would that mean two nationalists MEPs for NI or would they draw votes from both nationalists and unionists?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't understand what UKIP is,

"nationalists and unionists"

Lol

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know but I always found it slightly ironic that the UK would have an "independence" party when such notions wouldn't exactly be synonymous with the United Kingdom's legacy in the decades and Centuries of yore.

I guess they don't like being on the other end of being ruled from somewhere else!!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swords Hoopster View Post
    I guess they don't like being on the other end of being ruled from somewhere else!!!
    They don't like it up 'em!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    If they do run in the euro elections would that mean two nationalists MEPs for NI or would they draw votes from both nationalists and unionists?
    Nationalist? Irish Nationalists would not vote for UK Nationalists. UK independence means a break-away from Europe, not a break-up of the UK.
    "It seems that mankind doesn't really have a passion for listening." - Jr. Gong, 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    You don't understand what UKIP is,

"nationalists and unionists"

Lol
    I understand exactly what UKIP is, yes they support the UK union but the idea of leaving the EU isnt mutally exclusive to unionism.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand exactly what UKIP is, yes they support the UK union but the idea of leaving the EU isnt mutally exclusive to unionism.
    No, you don't my friend,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swords Hoopster View Post
    I don't know but I always found it slightly ironic that the UK would have an "independence" party when such notions wouldn't exactly be synonymous with the United Kingdom's legacy in the decades and Centuries of yore.

How many of today's Brits were involved with that history?

And I wonder whether your sense of irony is impartial. Pretty much every country has a history of at least attempted imperialism. I am sure even one or two Irish people have been involved. (Either as part of the British Empire, or earlier than that trying to expand the borders of whatever local kingdom they ruled over.)
    "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    No, you don't my friend,
    Do expand.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do expand.
    Before I do, can you tell me where you stand on the issue of a United Ireland,

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast