Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New nuclear power plant 240km from Irish coast

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New nuclear power plant 240km from Irish coast

I'm posting because I can't find anything about it on Politics.ie. If I've missed something please forgive me.

This new nuclear plant, which is closer to Dublin than it is to Leeds, has been given the go ahead without any consultation with the Irish government. I don't think that's right and I can't believe there's not much more talk about it on in our media. As far as I'm concerned our government should be putting huge pressure on the UK government to stop this happening. Why not build it on the south east coast beside France, Belgium and the Netherlands? Because those countries wouldn't let it happen.

An Taisce opposes plans for UK nuclear power plant - RTÉ News

Ramps

On what grounds would the French object?!

Dylan2010

at least its not an abortion clinic , but seriously good for irelands energy security eh , if the brits have surplus power we have an additional backup to "keep the lights on"

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    On what grounds would the French object?!
    Chernobyl.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I dont get why this should be a problem for us or why we should expect to be consulted.

The environmental imapct of nuclear is around disposal of waste and disasters. Waste wise ireland is not affected.

Disaster wise; firstly highly unlikely there would be a disaster. Secondly, any disaster would have much greater impact on the local uk population than on anyone in ireland. So the UK will already do everything they can to minimise risk.

the only uk disaster was windscale in 1957 which had only minor impact on ireland. The prevailing winds go in the other direction. The fallout zone of fukishima was 30km, not 240km.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fungus View Post
    I'm posting because I can't find anything about it on Politics.ie. If I've missed something please forgive me.

This new nuclear plant, which is closer to Dublin than it is to Leeds, has been given the go ahead without any consultation with the Irish government. I don't think that's right and I can't believe there's not much more talk about it on in our media. As far as I'm concerned our government should be putting huge pressure on the UK government to stop this happening. Why not build it on the south east coast beside France, Belgium and the Netherlands? Because those countries wouldn't let it happen.

and for info belgium has nuclear stations at around 250km from uk coast. france has 4 nucleur stations on it's north coast inclduing one at 100km to uk. the uk has already 2 nucleur stations on it's south east coast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Dungeness reactor in Kent is about 30km from the coast of France, but I dont recall the French objecting

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see any complaints about Wilfa B on Anglesey. 2 magnox reactors (reactor 2 closed last April) have been producing electricity for over 40 years and are only closing as the reprocessing plant at Sellafield is closing. Corrosion was found in the pipes before the plant started yet there have been no problems running it. So put a concrete sarcophagus over your hysteria about nuclear power and accept that since the atom was split there will always be nuclear power.

There is only a 30km exclusion zone round Chernobyl, and I think that both Leeds and Dublin would be outside that.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    Chernobyl.
    But the French have more nuclear power than the UK has, no?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Theres no need to worry about the nuclear plant since the most nuclear plant disasters happened due to natural disasters. Only things what could be a problem is mainly imcomptence.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast